Fictionista Workshop's Reviews > Viaje al centro de la tierra / Journey to the Center of the Earth

Viaje al centro de la tierra / Journey to the Center of the E... by Jules Verne

Oct 03, 10

bookshelves: reviewed

A novel that takes its reader on a grand adventure from the first page is sure to be a good one. Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne is just one example of such a novel. The story grabs you right from the beginning. Narrated by the main character's nephew, we are taken on a journey from beginning to end that is as exhilarating as any ride at Disneyland. Having dreamed of being an adventurer since he was a child, Mr. Verne managed to channel some of that energy into his writing, while at the same time pleasing his father and becoming a lawyer.
The story opens with Professor Lidenbrock finding a book written in Icelandic. The book is not as important as what is found inside the book, however. A piece of parchment with a series of letters written in a Runic language is found tucked among the pages, setting off a frenzy for the professor (and by association, his nephew, Axel) to find out what the parchment says. Once Professor Lidenbrock and Axel translate what is written we get into the meat of the story - the journey to the center of the Earth.
Their journey begins with Axel and Professor Lidenbrock going to Iceland, where they spend time trying to learn more about the person who wrote the note on the parchment. While there, they also acquire a guide who will go with them on their visit to Snafell and into the center of the Earth. He proves an excellent guide and his efforts are appreciated by the professor and his nephew.
Throughout the book, the professor never gives up on getting to the center of the earth. He is bound and determined not to let anything stop him, despite the many protestations of Axel, who is ready to turn back at the first sign of trouble. I wouldn't label Axel a skeptic, but he is definitely more cautious than his uncle and tends to think something is going to go wrong. I know that those things would make the reader immediately label Axel a skeptic, but in the end he does come around to the adventure and is willing to see it through to the end. Throughout the story, the trio is faced with a variety of obstacles but they overcome all of them with grace and come out the other side for the better.
It's hard to review this book without giving anything anyway. However, I will say this (without spoilers): I wish there were a sequel as this is one of the most well-written books I've read in a long time. Mr. Verne certainly did his research (and copious amounts of it) for this novel. He crams a lot into a little space (the book, not including notes, checks in at 288 pages), but the detail is impressive. He also provides 30-plus pages of notes at the end, to explain all the people, places, and objects he refers to throughout the novel.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I love a story that grabs me right from the beginning and doesn't let go until the end. I give it five out of five stars and would suggest it to anyone who likes a good adventure story.

Fictionista Workshop would like to thank Brianna for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review of this novel.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Viaje al centro de la tierra / Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Brianna Soloski It was my pleasure. I'm almost done with my next book/review for y'all. :)