Jack's Reviews > Jolie Blon's Bounce

202061
Jan 13, 2008

Recommended for: Anyone
Read in June, 2008

While I disagree with James Lee Burke's political ideology, one cannot deny that he is a master wordsmith, crafting a picturesque background against the lamentable faults and failings of his semi-tragic main character, Detective Dave Robicheaux.

Like Robicheaux, Burke is a product of his environment. Louisiana is not like any other State. There, it doesn't really matter what political party you belong to, what matters is your social standing. You have royalty/the haves and you have the peons/have nots. The Robicheaux character tries desperately to iron out that playing field and make life fair to the peon class. Some days, it drives him back to his demon: alcohol.

We can all identify with Robicheaux and his collection of misfits and outcasts. And he gets the job done, which is the only thing that keeps him going.

I love Burke's work and I love how he paints a realistic picture of life in Southern Louisiana's bayou country.

More to the point, I respect Burke's ability to tell a good story without giving away the ending. He is a master mystery writer.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jolie Blon's Bounce.