Karen's Reviews > The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite

The End of Overeating by David A. Kessler

Oct 03, 10

Read in October, 2010

** spoiler alert ** This book was a real eye-opener, giving detailed background on the mechanisms used to manipulate food choices and quantities of food consumed for both lab rats and humans.
The backbone premise is that using a high ratio of fat, sugar and salt, plus ultraprocessing gives food more appeal and makes it easier and faster to consume, leading to higher caloric intake and creating patterns of choosing those foods.
The trend towards obesity, particularly childhood obesity is discussed in detail and it is chilling to consider how manipulative the food industry has become, particularly in the last 30 years.
From a personal standpoint, I was raised with a minimum of processed food, and I rebelled against that when I started college. Ten years later I developed massive food allergies which necessitated that I eat from a very narrow list of foods, all few of which were available in processed form. I stayed on that diet religiously for 10 years until my body was able to tolerate a wider range of foods, but I still get physically ill when I eat too large of a quantity of certain foods, particularly those that are ultra-processed. After reading this book, I'm actually very grateful for my experiences and shocked and outraged at the calculating way the food industry has manipulated consumers into increased weight and decreased health.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Overeating.