Rosabelle Purnama's Reviews > The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

3421953
Apr 14, 11

bookshelves: books-i-own, mystery-thriller, series
Read from April 10 to 14, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I didn't have any expectations for this novel at all. Have heard mixed reviews about it. You either like it or you don't.

And surprise surprise... I actually liked it. The language is a little bit hard to follow and to digest, as English is not my native language, and at first the book is kinda hard to get into, but after several pages, it's actually quite good. I began to know the character, Flavia de Luce better.

The main character is Flavia de Luce, an 11 year old detective wanna be. Her passion is for chemistry and on solving mysteries. In this book, she's trying to solve the mystery of the man who died in her garden. Although Flavia can be annoying at times, especially I think she's a little bit nosy, but when you get to know the character, she's actually funny.

This is not the normal mystery books that I use to read. It doesn't have those "gory" details element that most detective stories have. This is more into "fun" mystery, the fun of solving it all.

I would definitely recommend this for those who doesn't like violent mystery or thriller stories.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie.

04/10/2011 page 50
14.0% "Group read on The Next Best Book Club group for April 2011"
04/11/2011 page 140
38.0% ""As I stood outside in Cow Lane, it occurred to me that Heaven must be a place where the library is open twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week." Flavia de Luce"
04/13/2011 page 240
65.0% "didn't make much progress on my reading today. back at work and crazy playing games on my ipod touch LoL"
04/13/2011 page 284
77.0% "I must say, I quite enjoy reading this book.. not your usual mystery type book, but it definitely picked my curiosity"
show 1 hidden update…