Vivienne's Reviews > Play Dead

Oct 04, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: reading-group-selection, thriller
Read on October 03, 2010

Our reading group selected this book a few months ago despite its opening disclaimer from Coben.

It does feel quite an immature work, with implausible characters and plot and yet it is possible to see that despite this that it did show promise.

It is my first encounter with Harlan Coben's writing and I'm not put off by it. I look forward to reading his later, more polished works and I am glad that he did include that disclaimer about its roughness.

If nothing else, it kept me entertained for a couple of days and despite cheesy bits was hard to put down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Play Dead.

04/26/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by K.D. (new)

K.D. Absolutely Ah, you seem not too happy with this book.

Vivienne It really was far too predictable with characters out of Harlequin/Mills & Boon romance. I felt it was an ok read but really a quite immature effort from a writer who obviously has talent.

message 3: by K.D. (new)

K.D. Absolutely Oh, I will stay away from this book then. Thanks!

Laura Have you read any of Harlan's other books? My personal favorite is "Tell No One." His series of books with Myron at the forefront is good, too. I am only about halfway through this one, but I can tell you it's nothing compared to his later works. :)

message 5: by K.D. (new)

K.D. Absolutely I'll add that to my hunting-for-this folder then. Thanks, Laura!

Vivienne The only other one I've read is 'The Woods', which certainly was a lot better.

message 7: by K.D. (new)

K.D. Absolutely Ok. I'll add that as well. Thanks, Vivienne! :)

message 8: by Charles (new)

Charles Johns it wasn't an award winner but whatever, I thought it was a pretty fun read

Vivienne Some novels are terrific just for entertainment and this certainly does