Alexa's Reviews > Vanish

Vanish by Sophie Jordan

Aug 30, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: 2011-reads, arc, tour, young-adult, borrowed, my-head-hurts, despise-love-triangles
Read from August 28 to 30, 2011

The love-triangle RUINED it for me. I don't even care who Jacinda ends up with at this point. I really don't. I liked Will in Firelight, but I didn't care for him in this book (honestly, didn't even give him a second thought, which might be because he was barely in it). I was neutral towards Cassian in Firelight, and I ended up disliking him in this book.

I just don't understand why everyone is in love with Jacinda. It was worse because she kept going back and forth with this: 'I want Will. No, I can't be with him. I'm starting to feel something for Cassian too. He truly wants me for me. I can't betray Tamra though. But I can't let either of them go. I feel something for them both. Will! Cassian! Will! Cassian!'

I can't believe I'm saying this, but minus the bitchy attitude, she is like the Bella Swan of Firelight, I swear. And you know what else pissed me off? That Jacinda kept going on and on about Tamra being obsessed and infatuated with Cassian, and yet she NEVER EVER says that about Cassian and Will's obsession with her or her infatuation with Will and sometimes Cassian. What the hell is up with that?? Selfish! That's what Jacinda is. I was not convinced by this love-triangle. At all. And it's even more frustrating because it doesn't look like it's over.

What did I like about the book? Tamra.

She intrigued me in Firelight, and I was so looking forward to knowing more about her in Vanish. *looks at cover* Unfortunately and unsurprisingly, Vanish is all about Jacinda. It just makes me feel bad for Tamra. I WISH this book was in her POV instead because at least she knows what she wants. And we wouldn't have to deal with a pathetic love-triangle and all the moping Jacinda does in this book. What we did get of Tamra, though, was awesome. She said most of the things I was thinking. :) (view spoiler)

Other than the romance, I felt like nothing else happened in Vanish until the very end. That's when the action picked up. It's disappointing because I really liked the beginning of Firelight. I thought this story would be different, but...it ended up being the same old same old. I feel like it has gone downhill since the moment they went into the human world in Firelight. *sigh* Anyway, it may come as a surprise, but I still plan on reading the final book. *shrugs* I just have to know what happens with Tamra. I'm not getting my hopes up though.
72 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vanish.

08/28 page 1
0.0% "*nervous* TAMRA FTW!! >:)" 2 comments
08/29 page 125
41.0% "..." 24 comments
02/16 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

Alexa Cover & summary are up. I heard the chick on the cover is Jacinda, since it's the same cover model. Hmm...but Jacinda & Tamra are twins, right? So ya never know...could be Tamra.

I want me some Cassian/Tamra in this book. I don't know why I'm so drawn to that couple. :p

~Tina~ Happy Reading! Looking forward to what you think of this one:)

Alexa :(
If my headache goes away, I might write a lil something.

message 4: by Lora (new)

Lora Aww, feel better Alexa:) X

~Tina~ Oh no:( Feel better hun.

message 6: by Lora (new)

Lora I'm so glad I gave up on this series after book 1! Great review:)

message 7: by Janina (new)

Janina Really hope your head has stopped hurting ... this sounds awful.

message 8: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Ah crap. :(

~Tina~ Wow hun, you really weren't impressed with this one. You've made me very nervous and very curious to read this even more now.
Jacinda back and forth in the first book is what pissed me off most, so if she's the same way again I'm not sure I'm gonna like this one ~sigh~ Great honest review though, at least I know what happens going in so my expectations are down.

Alexa @Lora: You should be glad. :)

@Janina: Actually it has. lol

@Jessica: I know. :(

@Tina: Oh she does it every chapter. I'm glad you're still reading it though. I really want to know what you think. Maybe you will like it. I don't know. ;P

~Tina~ I'll keep an open mind, but I think you pretty much nailed all the reasons why I wouldn't;) We have pretty similar taste in books:)

message 12: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Bummer... Was looking forward to this one. Guess, I'll wait now. :/

Sorry you didn't care for it.

message 13: by Nic (new)

Nic Awwww crap. Great review though Alexa.

KJ Shadows I actually hated Tamra :/ She was too whiny. But I do agree Cassian doesnt deserve any of them. Why would u want a guy who ignored you all your life cause you didnt manifest? I mean come on

Alexa I agree, even Tamra was whiny at times. But I'm glad she pointed things out that I had been wondering about too. ;)

*Secret*Fatty* So um, anyone want to sell me their book then?! I'm super serious! If anyone is interested in selling their copy of Vanish, please send me a message! Thanks!!

message 17: by 321bcph (new) - added it

321bcph Dude, I sometimes feel as if I just want to reach into the book and hit Jacinda right in the face. SHE IS SO OBNOXIUOS AND SELFISH! I found this video on youtube about how this guy did not like twilight. he said this.
" NOo, Bella doens't say " Edward walked into the room." She has to go like, " Oh, he walked into the room and his skin was sparkling and i could barely breathe, and my heart was pounding so I was all *BREATHES IN AND OUT LOUDLY* . "
I totaly agree with him. Bella sometimes got really annoying. Also, Bella is sort of like Jacinda. She only thinks this.
" Me and Cassian/Will together."
LIKE I SAID, REALLY SELFISH!

Whitney the person on the cover is tamra, in the very beginning it talks about how her hair and eyes changed colors and that jacinda and her didn't look identical anymore

Kuljeet Hmm but the main character IS Jacinda... So if you were disappointed about the book not being about Tamra, there is no surprise there lol. No offense :)

heather giles I like cassian I hate will he makes her seem weak I hate when books mke main female weak especially since hey jeez spit a fireball lol you don't have to take any crap I liked it but end of trilogy really did me in ugh wish she went in different direction

Monica Your review is spot on.

Monica I feel like all Will and Jacinda did in the first book was make out. But I'm a completionist. So I'll finish the series.

David Torres HE WAS BARELY IN IT?!!! WHAT?!! NO!!! WILL!!!! DAMNIT! >:( this sucks.

message 24: by Dorina (new)

Dorina Koreny Oh my, now you just convinced me not to read a single book from this series. Thank you, I guess? I don't have time for love triangles. So even though the first book might have been a good read, I'm just gonna skip the whole thing.

Ellen Thanks for so eloquently writing down all my hang-ups about this book. It frustrated me to no end.