Richard Little's Reviews > The Winter of Our Discontent

The Winter of Our Discontent by John Steinbeck

M_50x66
Oct 03, 10

Hidden amongst the canon of great American novels that Steinbeck bequeathed, this really is the most down to earth of a down to earth author's books. Ethan is a tangible hero, one not defined by great measures or actions he takes, but by his eventual ability to live up to his past and his cultural and emotional inheritance, the one common burden facing us all in life.

As a social commentary it sums up the ennui and bemusement of post boom pre boom America, with the sheer abundance of people not really knowing what it is they are meant to be feeling and doing.

Epic in its microcosmic scale and to use a hackneyed phrase "acutely observed". Also responsible for the quote that has stayed with me the longest and resonated the most profoundly, "No-one wants advice, only corroboration." Genius

A friend of mine once remarked that if he were to make it into a film, he'd cast Tom Cruise as Ethan. Now I'd choose pre-wanker stage Kevin Spacey or Philip Seymour Hoffmann (if he could be persuaded not to come over as a perverted loser) but then I'm not a casting director for a major hollywood studio. But then neither is the friend who made that suggestion. Not even remotely.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Winter of Our Discontent.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Neil (new)

Neil Wow, your friend is spot on: Tom Cruise would be perfect in that role. Especially if he did the dancing with the bald head and fat belly. Man, that cracks me up.

Richard Little i can't help thinking that he might be miscast. Ethan wasn't a scientologist freak. apparently.