Russell's Reviews > Extreme Programming Installed

Extreme Programming Installed by Ron Jeffries

419301
Jan 13, 08

Read in February, 2005

Per some requirements at work to assist everyone with a common understanding of Agile/XP development, it was requested that we all read this book. I had no problems with the request and gratefully accepted the free material. However, I was a bit critical in my initial judgment as I glanced through the chapters and noticed that there were a lot of dumb-looking sketches. The book is 244 pages long, and contains 34 chapters. So there's at least 34 pages of goofy art.

So overall I think this is a great book about becoming familiar with some of the ideologies of EXtremete Programming. The book is great about identifying common project/coding practices that often lead to inefficiencies or error. Lots of suggestions and supporting anecdotes about embracing XP styles. They (authors) are big on pair programming and testing-before-developing methodologies. I found myself agreeing with a lot of what they had to say, and the reading gave me many ideas to consider.

An overall good explanation of XP fundamentals is seen here (taken from the last page), "Quite simply, I think that XP works because it is validation-centric rather than product-centric...validation means that somebody other than the producer analyzes the product and assures that it satisfies its purpose...Are we developing the right software? Are we developing the software right?"

In my opinion, the book is not worth $29.95, but maybe worth $15. If you want some new ideas about fixing coding/project methodologies, this book will prime your mind with possible new approaches.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Extreme Programming Installed.