Alexia561's Reviews > Full Moon City

Full Moon City by Martin H. Greenberg

Oct 24, 10

bookshelves: review-copy, fantasy, anthology

It's no secret that I love anthologies! And what could be better than a book full of werewolf stories? Almost nothing! One of the reasons I love anthologies so much is that I can revisit old favorites as well as discover new writers, and this collection was no exception. There are stories from some of my favorites, like Holly Black and Carrie Vaughn, and stories from new-to-me writers that I want to further explore.

Rather than dissect each story in this collection, I just want to touch on a few. I Was a Middle-Age Werewolf by Ron Goulart was an amusing look at a down on his luck Hollywood writer who finds himself cursed with being a werewolf. I also got a kick out of Darrell Schweitzer's Kvetchula's Daughter, about a nice Jewish girl whose life is "ruined" when her parents become vampires. What can I say, I like wacky humor!

In a different vein, No Children, No Pets by Esther M. Friesner is about a six year old city werewolf who lives in Central Park. Don't think I've ever read a story where the main character was a child werewolf before. Or would that be a werewolf cub? Very original!

My two favorite stories were Kitty Learns the Ropes by Carrie Vaughn and The Bitch by P.D. Cacek. I've read several books in the Kitty series, so it was nice to see her again. And while I haven't read Cacek before, this story about an old girlfriend who refuses to let go was really good! Loved the ending!

All in all, I think this was a really nice collection of werewolf stories. Some were not as strong as others, but it's a good anthology. The good stories outweigh the weaker contenders, and the authors are all talented writers. Definitely recommend this one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Full Moon City.