Johnny's Reviews > Command Decision

Command Decision by Elizabeth Moon

Oct 02, 10

bookshelves: science-fiction
Read in September, 2010

If you wanted all of the Vatta series to be primarily from Kylara’s point of view, Command Decision is going to sorely disappoint you. Sure, as the title implies, there are plenty of action sequences where Kylara puts her academy training and newfound command persona to good use, but this book is about Rafe and Stella. Don’t get me wrong. It isn’t about Rafe and Stella as a couple (though that might happen in a future book). It’s about Rafe and Stella as individuals, finding themselves and learning to trust (and not to trust) others. And, to be sure, there is a romantic wrinkle in the bed sheets of this novel, but it doesn’t involve the characters you’d think it would involve. Let’s just say that it was unexpected, but very interesting.

At times, the action features space navy battles. At other times, the action is tied to a corporate James Bond hook and planetary level politics. At times, it seems like stupidity holds no bounds and, at times, it seems like everything is working out just like I thought it should work out two books ago. In short, the mixture of comfort and surprise in Command Decision is ideal. And, as a reader who is absolutely empathic toward the main cast of characters (which really expanded depth-wise in Engaging the Enemy), I was glad to see evidence of personal growth (dare we say triumph?) in all of the characters for which I care.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Command Decision.