Abigail Hillinger's Reviews > The Catcher in the Rye

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

Jul 11, 08

bookshelves: classic
Read in July, 2008

Well, I finally, finally, finally read Catcher in the Rye. I don't know why my high school never assigned this book, or why it took me so long to read it; and honestly, I don't know what I went in, expecting, except that it's a modern-classic (ah, the oxymoron phase!) set in the POV of an adolescent kid who got kicked out of boarding school. I can't really say much about it, to be honest; the language and voice were consistent and authentic. I really like Holden--he was exasperating and enjoyable at the same time. Really funny and insightful, among all the "old so-and-so" and "that killed me" and "phony" comments. No real plot of the story, except a guy trying to figure out what to do with himself after being kicked out of boarding school, but I guess that was the whole point of the book; that he had no idea what to do with himself. Which is, of course, being a teenager...and adult...or just living, I guess.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Catcher in the Rye.