Vicki G's Reviews > Darkness on the Edge of Town

Darkness on the Edge of Town by Brian Keene

Dec 13, 11

Read in December, 2011, read count: 2

Because I know someone who was trapped in Tower 1 for over an hour, and burned extensively over his upper body, reading about the guy they set on fire undid me this time.
The guy I know, who WASN'T greedy and DIDN'T deserve it (contrary to what Osama bin Laden said and was published for saying so), can't even cook meals that go in an oven.
This is b/c the blast of heat you feel when you open the oven to check the meal causes him to go into immediate flashbacks of being on fire. It's so intense he has no obvious way of controlling it. Mind over matter doesn't freakin' work when you have a memory of literally being on fire.
He deals with what happened to him better than I deal with it. IDK how he manages as well as he does. I've known him more than a year and he's only had a problem two different times and never while he's working.
But people--STUPID people--make fun of his face, which has scars even though they've reconstructed it twice, and the rest of his upper body has scar tissue. And they had to amputate two of his fingers, b/c they were too burnt to save.
All I could think of while reading about the guy in this book who was set on fire is my friend, who was trapped in Tower 1 for more than an hour. If it weren't for him, I would literally be having no Christmas, b/c I lost the job that was paying me well while keeping the one that isn't paying the bills. It's a nightmare, and would be even worse of one if he hadn't invited me to come see him - and cook for him, which is how he always prefaces it. He says he needs someone to do it for him, but he could do it himself if he really wanted to. When he does it himself he doesn't make anything you put in the oven.
He uses a microwave for all his food.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkness on the Edge of Town.

12/07/2011 page 1
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Vicki G I started reading this again after I cleaned out my cabinet of books, and I liked it again, so I'm reading it again.