Max's Reviews > The Milagro Beanfield War

The Milagro Beanfield War by John     Nichols

Oct 07, 10

bookshelves: currently-reading

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Milagro Beanfield War.

10/07/2010 page 19
3.0% ""What's that little half-pint son of a bitch want to cause so much trouble for?" It's been so long I had to start this book over. It is heavily into magic realism from the start, which I have mixed feelings about."
10/07/2010 page 19
4.0% "It's been so long I had to restart. Still setting the backdrop to Milagro. Not sure how I feel about the magic realism so far. Nor about the fact that my favorite character so far is a footnote in the history of the town."
10/10/2010 page 57
12.0% "Mondragon has started watering his field and there are now meetings in the halls of power discussing what to do about it. The narrative style has changed here somewhat. Perhaps the author is trying to reflect the different philosophy and viewpoint to be found amongst those in power compared to the villagers being pushed aside."
10/21/2010 page 252
39.0% "The conflict has begun to escalate and some blood has been drawn. Yet for the most part both parties are still circling each other cautiously. The character Herbie has been introduced and so far seems to play primarily the role of village idiot. I wonder is Nichols was a student in a similar situation. I'll be putting this down for a moment to finish two other books by Sunday."
11/11/2010 page 350
55.0% "Will have to take a break for some time as I left my copy at a damn work site. Hopefully will be able to get it back. Bookstore seemed lacking in trade paperbacks."
show 1 hidden update…