EBugs's Reviews > The Last Town on Earth

The Last Town on Earth by Thomas Mullen

Oct 03, 10

liked it
Read from October 02 to 03, 2010

While this book dealt with many of my favorite topics (influenza of 1918, utopian societies, WW I), I never became emotionally involved with the characters. I listened to the book on CD's, and my lack of emotional involvement may have been due to the narrator, who is not one of my favorites. But in my gut I feel that it was more the author's voice that lacked the emotional engagement that I long for in a good book. And yet, his voice reflected what I often suspect was typical of that time period in the USA. Regardless, something was missing.

I loved the descriptions of the flu symptoms! These were gruesome and left a horrific image in my head, but this was necessary to truly understand the influenza! I appreciate the pandemic all the more because of it.

The book does make you think. Can the perfect Socialist society ever really be successful, or do we, with our human failings, doom it from the start? How will we react when the next pandemic hits? Will we reach out to one another or hide behind masks in our homes? How do we react to terrorist threats? Do we suspect everyone of being a "spy" and hide away in our "perfect" worlds, or do we live life to its fullest as long as we can? I LIKE a book that makes you think!

If I could give it a 3.67, I would, but I can't with this rating system. Read it yourself and see what you think.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Town on Earth.