Laura de Leon's Reviews > The Knife of Never Letting Go

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

2013736
Oct 08, 10

bookshelves: sf-fantasy, audiobook, review-copy, ya, blogged
Read from October 02 to 08, 2010

I really liked The Knife of Never Letting Go, but I also had some major reservations about the setup and some actions and events along the way.

This book was extremely graphically violent in a few spots. This wasn't gratuitous, but was deeply embedded in both the plot of the book and the point I saw the book as trying to make-- questions of what does it mean to be a man.

I would have been a little less bothered by this in print than audio.

Overall, I felt the audio was very well done. I had only one issue with it, but I think it affected my enjoyment. It's odd, because this normally doesn't bother me.

I had a lot of difficulty keeping a 12 year old (or 14 year old, if you adjust to our years) boy in my mind. The narrator brought to mind someone older, probably 16-18 years old. I think the story is different when enacted by an older teen.

Overall, this is a very powerful book, with an interesting story and raising questions I'll be thinking about long after finishing the book.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Knife of Never Letting Go.