Jen A.'s Reviews > The Sleeping Beauty

The Sleeping Beauty by Mercedes Lackey

Oct 02, 2010

Read in October, 2010

Another enchanting tale from one of my favorite fantasy authors, Lackey never fails to disappoint. The Sleeping Beauty is the fifth book in Lackey's 500 Kingdoms series, where the power of The Tradition builds to force people down "traditional" fairy tale paths -- with the traditional outcomes. Fairy Godmothers intervene to help out those who would have their lives (or kingdoms) ruined by such a magical force, and in this tale the characters are smack-dab in the middle of a large force of Traditional magic, and Fairy Godmother Lily must work quickly to choose which traditional fairy tale will work best for the outcome of the beautiful princess -- and for the fate of this Kingdom forever after. The story is clever, and at times laugh-out-loud amusing. I had to set the book down to handle my giggles when the besotted unicorn with a lisp entered the picture! A thoroughly enjoyable read, and I greatly enjoy Lackey's take on fairy tales (which doesn't exclude those tales that come from far and away places). Smartly written.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sleeping Beauty.