Ariana's Reviews > The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend

The DUFF by Kody Keplinger

Dec 13, 14

bookshelves: favorites, laugh-aloud, sweet-romance, movie-to-be, standalone
Read in October, 2010

This was such a nice book!

It was a fun read since the very begining. I loved the brief discusion between Bianca and Wesley, it was fun and entertaining. Also I loved the way both characters changed (so slowly) through the story - they started by hating each other (or at least Bianca says she did), then they found out that there is more to them than meets the eyes, and they ended so deeply in love - but the transition seemed as natural as breathing.

Bianca is the average girl with not-so-high self esteem. Wesley is the opposite (good-looking, rich, fun, confident). Put them together in the same room and you will get some 'explosive' situations.

Bianca hates him for being a "man-whore", and it takes only a second for Wesley to touch a sensitive spot (and hurt Bianca by calling her "the duff") and the situation between them gets even worse - now she has a reason to hate him and she shows it (only at the beginning).
Between her confidence being shaken and all her problems at home, Bianca finds herfself doing things she knows she shouldn't be doing, but can't stop herself because this is the only way she can shut-down the world and she can forget about everything that's hurting her.

The thing is that Wesley used the strategy of talking with "the duff" more than once, but he never expected her reactions at all - she is hot a moment and cold the other .. and he doesn't say it but he really likes this about her. Also he never knew the nickname affected her and he keeps calling her Duffy trough the book (I think that for him this was more like their private joke - whenever he cared about her, he called her by her name).

There were some sweet moments they shared together and I enjoyed the way they started to care for each other.

Now, of course, this whole scenario won't work in the real life for a lot of reasons, and also this is not some life-lessons-giving book, but it's just perfect to have a laugh and enjoy it from cover to cover without giving it a second thought.

MINOR SPOILER!

First:
"Wesley Rush doesn’t chase girls. They chase him.”

Then:
“You’re right. Wesley Rush doesn’t chase girls, and I’m not chasing you”

But in the end:
"Wesley Rush doesn’t chase girls, but I’m chasing you."

This is a really sweet and unusual love story.

This review can be found at ReadingAfterMidnight.com
____________________________________________

Blog (EN) | Facebook | Twitter | Tumblr | Bloglovin' | Blog (RO)
____________________________________________

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The DUFF.

Quotes Ariana Liked

“First:
"Wesley Rush doesn’t chase girls. They chase him.”

Then:
“You’re right. Wesley Rush doesn’t chase girls, and I’m not chasing you”

But in the end:
"Wesley Rush doesn’t chase girls, but I’m chasing you" ♥”

Kody Keplinger
“No matter where you go or what you do to distract yourself, reality catches up with you eventually.”

Kody Keplinger
“You can lie to yourself if you want, but reality is going to catch up with you. I’ll be waiting when it does… whether you like it or not.”

Kody Keplinger
“Your sense of humor needs some work, then,' Wesley suggested. 'Most girls find my jokes charming.'

'Those girls must have IQs low enough to trip over.”

Kody Keplinger
“He was sweet and charming and smart... but my feelings for Wesley were way beyond that. I'd skipped the crush kiddie pool and jumped right into the deep, shark-infested ocean of emotions. And, if you'll forgive the dramatic metaphor, I was a lousy swimmer.”

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alkyoni (new)

Alkyoni Nice review, as always, Ari. I've been a bit skeptical about this one, people either love it or hate it.

Ariana It's all about what you like to read, and what's more important for you into the story.. I like the bad-boy-turned-good type of story, and this was a pretty hot one.
But if you stick to the moral of it, you most probably won't like it.
I just hope that if you will pick it up, you will at least enjoy it ;)

message 3: by Alkyoni (new)

Alkyoni I'm pretty certain that I won't be having problems with the moral part of the story. After discussing the last book of the Vampire Academy, I realized that my morals must be pretty low compared to the average young adult reader. I was even called an embarrassment to the human nature. Oh well....

But there are things that I like in a character, especially a young adult female. Brains, growing self esteem and witty lines of dialog are among them. As for the bad boy turned good, if it's done in a realistic way (as opposed to: my one true love turned me to a better person within a week because she's so kind and lovin' and carin') I think I'll enjoy it.

message 4: by Anna (new) - added it

Anna Great review - this sounds like it has a lot of spark and some great exchanges. Will have to check it out

Ariana Thanks. For me it was a great experience, I had a lot of fun with this book.
It is that kind of story that you might like a lot or not at all. I just hope that you will be on the liking side as well ;))

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for posting this great review! Found a decent-sounding book, finally!

Ariana Duffy?! :D

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Ari wrote: "Duffy?! :D

@Sandy - Oh, I missed your comment. I am sorry it didn't work that well for you after all. I really loved the story with the bad and the good ;))"

Actually, I read your review and I thought again about it and it actually was a pretty good book. So, no worries for you! ;)

message 9: by Jane (new)

Jane wonderful review :)

Ariana The movie trailer is out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci7eK... ... Though I can't shake this feeling that I won't enjoy this one *sigh*

Lorena I have a feeling it'll be a romantic comedy, while the book kind of dealt with serious problems.... Ah

Ariana Well, truthfully... I have a feeling it will be a silly (view spoiler) romantic comedy full of clichés and nothing like the book :((( It makes me so absolutely sad. I hate bad movies.

Lorena And the actors just don't do it for me...Idk, I think it will be really bad, but then again I thought Love, Rosie would be epic and it turned out to be rushed and not so epic hahah.

message 14: by Ariana (last edited Nov 19, 2014 01:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ariana I don't have much luck with books turned into movies - but while some might not meet my high expectations, there are others that are simply too bad for their own good; they even ruin the reputation of the books they're based on.

In this trailer there is only one scene (kind of) from the book, the talk about the DUFF concept, the rest is simply another different, silly story. And all the marketing goes around that Bella actress, that plays a role that's not even from The DUFF. They also seemed to have turned this into such a cheap comedy that I don't even have the mood to laugh at.

I get it, it's all for the money, the original story might not have sold at all, but come oooon, Wesley talking with his breasts? How is that any better?

Bleah.. another one bites the dust!