Kereesa's Reviews > Squire

Squire by Tamora Pierce

Oct 02, 2010

bookshelves: young-adult, own, high-fantasy, friendship, gods-and-goddesses, 2011, favorites, romance, grrl-power, fangirling, own-softcovers, own-multiple-copies
Recommended for: If you've read the first two.
Read in May, 2011 — I own a copy

Squire is the third book in the Protector of the Small Quartet, and follows our lovely Keladry through her squirehood as she deals with Tortall's growing threats from the country of Scanra as well as the threats and dislike from the conservative thinkers all the while learning not only how to be a knight but to be a commander as well. Love and friendship follow Kel as she copes with learning her place in the world of Tortall, as she gets ready to face her last challenge before achieving knighthood: the Chamber of Ordeal.
I liked and disliked Squire. Lots of the elements from the two previous books were there, and Kel's character, as always, was great to watch as she grew. Parts of the novel did drag a bit, however, and though Pierce obviously wants to show her readers a very in depth look at the true world of knights, I felt parts of it were unneeded. Lots of former bullies and enemies of Kel get their just deserts finally, and Kel reflects on the consequences of her actions, leading to some great character development but I did put this book down more than a few times because I got more than a little bored. All in all, however, Squire is a great addition to the series and really does provide an inside look at the world of knights. Kel is a favorite with me and for her I forgive the slightly less interesting parts to this novel. 4/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Squire.

Quotes Kereesa Liked

Tamora Pierce
“When people say a knight's job is all glory, I laugh and laugh and laugh. Often I can stop laughing before they edge away and talk about soothing drinks.”
Tamora Pierce, Squire

Tamora Pierce
“WE do try to eat," Raoul called back to her [Kel]. I go all faint if I don't get fed regularly. Only think of the disgrace to the King's Own if I fell from the saddle."
"But there was that time in Fanwood," a voice behind them said.
"That wedding in Tameran," added the blonde Sergeant Osbern, riding a horse-length behind Kel.
"Don't forget when what's-his-name, with the army, retired," yelled a third.
"Silence, insubordinate curs!" cried Raoul. "Do not sully my new squire's ears with your profane tales!"
"Even if they're TRUE?" That was Dom. It seemed Neal wasn't the only family member versed in irony.”
Tamora Pierce, Squire