Marcie's Reviews > The Jewel of St. Petersburg

The Jewel of St. Petersburg by Kate Furnivall

Oct 02, 10

I know I say this a lot, but I really liked this book. My favorite part of the book was the setting. I love that it was set in Russia during the revolution. There was so much turmoil and unrest during this time that it definitely added a raw grittiness to the story. There were a lot of characters in this book, but not so many that you lose track. The story focuses on Valentina. She is from the aristocratic society whose path is already predetermined. Valentina decides to buck the system and make her own destiny. I really liked the strength of her character. She was willing to do what ever it took to save everyone she loved. Speaking of love, let's talk about the romantic aspect of this book. Valentina is expected to marry well, but she falls in love with a engineer, Jens Friis. Her heart belongs to him from the first moment she sees him, but she longs to please her parents also. This is an interesting relationship full of many complications. I enjoyed this aspect as well. The story line was very compelling and it kept me interested to the last sentence.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Jewel of St. Petersburg.