Dream 4 More Reviews's Reviews > Sacrifices In The Name of Love

Sacrifices In The Name of Love by Vanessa Alexander Johnson

Nov 30, 10

bookshelves: book-reviews, contemporary, interracial-relations
Read from October 01 to November 30, 2010

Vanessa Johnson starts out with the expectation I had in mind in correlation with the title, where we see young Tessa Phillips father’s verbal insults about black people when they relocate to the south for residency. Trey Martin, basketball player, accepted Tessa’s apology but was desensitized to this behavior from other racists in the south. Yet, the sexual attraction happened so quickly in the story that I didn’t feel they established a sincere relationship so early on. Then, after sexual acts continue and pregnancy is the ultimate question, now we see Trey praying to God and wish he never did it without using protection. Normally, we read the female’s side in the story having such an emotional-spiritual breakdown but we engulf in a man’s sentimental side. We hear this time and time again with people fulfilling the ‘lustful eyes’ and not what consequences come with it until it hits them dead-in-the-face.

I really enjoyed the writers’ style and voice in the novel; however, we read or hear this story about a woman getting pregnant and willing to eliminate the man out of the equation to fend for the child solo. This was Tessa’s idea but not the Trey’s. She's willing to tell an ambiguous lie: she was raped and got pregnant in the process to move far away where the man never sees his child. Will she really go forth with this story? Regardless of her plans, a young girl that doesn’t let those close to her know the truth instead has a web of lies, she doesn’t realize who she’s really destroying—the life that she gave. I really enjoyed the read.

Dream 4 More Firm received pdf (e-book) format from the author for review.

Dream 4 More Reviews,
Adrienna Turner
Wooed Me Dream.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sacrifices In The Name of Love.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Vanessa Johnson Thanks for taking the time to read and review my book, Sacrifices In The Name of Love.

Dream 4 More Reviews No problem. It was passed onto a reviewer and ended up in my hands overall. I enjoyed the read. All in the Master's plan. I eventually read the books or stuff sent but already 1 to 2 yrs behind on gifts/contest wins. I'll be reading soon though.