Erin's Reviews > Emma

Emma by Jane Austen

Oh, Emma. <3

It's been three years since the only other time I've read this book. This re-read has definitely pushed it more towards the top of my "Favorite Austens" list. So much to love, and all the more so because other people don't appreciate Emma enough. It's lonely at the top!

Why I Love This Book
Emma is such a witty read. Each character has its place and purpose, and they make decisions I can understand instead of doing whatever will move the plot forward most conveniently. I was immersed in the story despite its lack of action (when one of the most memorable scenes is one character mildly mocking another at a picnic, you know it's Austen). The romance was a pleasant surprise. Jane's writing is as sharp as always.

Why I Love This Character
Poor Emma. It seems like none of my GR friends care much for her. She's willful and slightly snobbish and blind to most things. Finally. FINALLY. A character who is just as much of a spoiled idiot as me on occasion, but also full of real compassion and a desire to do good. To all the haters: sorry she isn't Lizzy/Elinor/Anne. But my Emma is one of a kind and if she wants to have a long-term flirtation with a guy she doesn't even like, (view spoiler) she's going to do it, regardless of what you think. I'm in awe of the fact that she waited until page 296 of my copy to flip her lid on Miss Bates. I think reading all of Miss Bates' dialogue actually destroyed part of my soul. Too traumatized to continue that line of thought.

Other Highlights
Mrs. Elton in general was a joy. I was so delighted every time she talked about "Mr. E" or "Knightley" in particular. And the end scene with her acting like Emma didn't know about the secret engagement? Hysterical.

Mr. Knightley was also a fantastic addition. I prefer him a thousand times over to Mr. Darcy, thankyouverymuch. He was just as gracious at the beginning as he was at the end, which is always a plus.

Lastly (and I know this isn't really a reflection on the merits of the book itself), reading this makes me long to watch Clueless again. Love the modern interpretation that movie gives.

Favorite Line
"Mr. Knightley seemed to be trying not to smile; and succeeded without difficulty upon Mrs. Elton's beginning to talk to him."

Oh, the snark.

30 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Emma.

01/28/2012 page 72
18.0% "Poor Mr. Martin. :("
01/30/2012 page 252
64.0% "MR. KNIGHTLEY 4EVA!!!!

*true love*"
show 2 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-8)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Dichotomy Girl Without apology, Emma is my favorite of all the Austen books, containing both my favorite Hero and Heroine. I also have a weakness for the movie version with Gwenneth Paltrow & Jeremy Northam (I'm so biased, I'm not sure if I should be ashamed of that fact of not, LOL)

Erin Yes! Emma and Mr. Knightley are both outstanding. It's not my favorite of all her books; that honor goes to Persuasion. I'm thinking maybe Emma is my 4th favorite? (Moved up from 5th before this re-read.)

Whitterbug :) I loved that line too.

Jason Koivu I need to read this again. I keep hearing that it improves upon rereading. Nice review!

Ruth This is my favourite Austen book, and Mr Knightley is my literary crush (I'd also take him over Darcy, every single time). I've just re-read Emma again - every time I read it I find something else to fall in love with in this book. Oh, and I also really like the character of Emma herself - of course, she's not perfect, but who is? Just beautifully written, with such humour and insight into human nature. Loved your review :)

Horses13 I love the book Emma! I am about 50% in
and once I finish I will begin the english classic pride and predjudice.

Horses13 Austen is one of my favorite authors and I am so happy that all of you either liked or loved Emma! P.S. loved the review!

Erin Thanks! I love Emma so much. She's a difficult character, but we're all a little difficult. And Austen is so skilled at combining Emma's good and bad qualities, I can't help but love her.