Linds's Reviews > Agnes Grey

Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë

Jan 17, 11

bookshelves: 1800-s, 5-star-2011-read, austen-bronte, england, historical-romance, classic, read-in-2011, regency, romance, child-care
Recommended for: fans of Mansfield Park
Read from January 12 to 17, 2011

This book is so much more like a Jane Austen read than a Bronte one! No crazy wives in the attic or Heathcliffe hitting his head against a tree in the orchard. No melodrama really anywhere to be seen.

I've never read a book from the lesser known Bronte sister before and I was surprised how engaging and charming this simple story was.

The story starts out with Agnes, the daughter of a vicar. Unfortunately her father loses everything in a bad business deal so she becomes a governess to help pay off the debts. She didn't know what she was getting into.

Anne Bronte really was a governess so you know you're getting first hand knowledge of the hypocrisy of the upper class and the never ending arrogance and entitlement.

She has all the responsibility of making the children behave and none of the authority to make them listen to her. (I have been a substitute teacher I identified WAYYY too much with this.) It is kind've funny how there is nothing new under the sun 150 years later, especially when it comes to the behavior of naughty children.

Along the way, could the pastor in the neighborhood POSSIBLY fall in love with her and whisk her away from her life of endlessly boot licking mean rich people?

My only quibble is that Agnes is practically perfect in every way, it can be annoying. But most of the time it's charming. I read a lot of historical fiction and I like getting the inside scoop of someone that was there.

This is a great book for anyone who loves Jane Austen and read all her books and is looking for something similar to read.

7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Agnes Grey.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Great review, Linds. I hope I get to read this soon.

Linds I hope you like it!

message 3: by Mai (last edited Jun 03, 2012 02:40AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mai I totally agree with you, I was surprised to find how much it actually reminded me of Jane Austen's works (which I love). I usually find the Brontë sisters to be quite heavy going and depressing but Agnes Grey was really a sweet, charming story. The only thing was that I found it a bit bland. Like you said, she's to perfect and didn't come alive to me like Jane Austen's characters do. A good read though!

I'd like to add you as my friend to get to see your bookshelves, as I think I'll find a lot of books there that I'd like to read! Hope that's ok:)

Linds of course! thank you. :)

Ugoki Agnes is not perfect. She has a temper that shows in the narration (though who could blame her?) and in the end, she's never really that good of a governess (lol thank God she became a writer at the end)