Valerie's Reviews > The 13½ Lives of Captain Bluebear

The 13½ Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers

F 50x66
May 16, 07

Recommended for: Someone with a sense of humour, enjoyment of puns, and creative imagination
Read in August, 2007

I picked it up because the cover art caught my attention and the title was so novel as to get me to skim through a few pages. It's a tome of a book, but really a fast read. Broken down into each of Bluebear's "lives" it's more of a collection of 13 1/2 stories than one contiguous story (though they do all tie in together, of course). It is reminiscent of a children's story book but with complex ideas so as to be interesting to the adult. But that kind of feel. A blue bear that rides on the back of a pterydactyl that is one of a certain species that saves people's lives just in the nick of time (known as Reptilian Rescuers). There are several parts that are laugh-out-loud funny and many more that are amusing enough to make you smile while riding on public transportation (always amusing to your seat neighbor).

Highly recommend this book. wish it weren't so big to lug around because the stories make travel go by fast!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 13½ Lives of Captain Bluebear.