Auntee's Reviews > Wild Man Creek

Wild Man Creek by Robyn Carr

Jan 10, 11

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, part-of-a-series, 2011_reads, for_my_kindle, netgalley, made_me_cry, keepers
Recommended for: Fans of the series
Read on January 09, 2011

Superb! Made me bawl like a baby at the end.:) I got an ARC of this one from NetGalley, and I plowed through it in one day (haven't done that with a book in a looong time). After reading Promise Canyon and adoring it, I doubted that Robyn Carr could top it--or at least equal it. But she did! This one is in the top three of my favorites of the series (the others being Virgin River and Temptation Ridge). There's just something about those Riordan men...

This is Army Black Hawk helicopter pilot "Wild Man" Colin Riordan's story (second oldest of the Riordan brothers). Colin (40) was in a copter crash, severely injured, ended up in rehab, then became hooked on painkillers, and was caught trying to buy pain meds on the street. Luckily with his brothers' help (or interference as he sometimes sees it), he got the help he needed--but now he's out of the military, unable to fly any more, and has retreated to Virgin River (brother Luke's place) for some R&R while he figures out his next move. Colin has an incredible talent for painting wildlife (it may beome a career when he's done with flying), and he rents a cabin in the woods so he can snap some pics of wildlife which he then references when he paints. One day while painting out in a meadow he meets up with Jillian Matlock (32), a former PR exec for a software company who's in VR on sabbatical from her high pressure job. Jill's getting over a humiliating breakup with a boyfriend who used her in a terrible way, shattering her trust and judgment in men and practically wrecking her career. Jill's renting the old Victorian mansion that belonged to Hope McCrea, with plans to use the extensive gardens to grow heirloom fruits and vegetables just like the great-grandmother who raised her did. If things work out in the next 6 months, maybe Jill will start her own business.

Jill and Colin hit it off as friends. Neither is looking for a relationship (Colin keeps telling himself that 'girl-next-door' Jilly is not the type he usually dates), but the more time they spend together (he uses her property when he wants to paint outdoors), the more they are attracted to each other. They finally decide to act on that attraction, although both are up front about their affair only being for a set amount of time. Colin is heading to Africa in September to photograph big game and to check into a flying career there (he's not ready yet to give up the adrenaline rush he gets from flying), and Jilly has only 6 months in Hope's house before she has to decide if she's going back to her old job or will forge a new path. So the affair starts with an end date in sight, and Colin and Jilly make the most of their time together. (Jeez were they hot together--and sooo perfect for each other, too. And their first time up on the roof? Scorching.) Of course you know they're going to fall in love--but will either admit it? Will either be willing to change their future plans?

Oh my, did I enjoy this one. It just pushed all my buttons. First of all, I just adored Jilly. Rarely does Robyn Carr give you a perfect heroine (in fact, a lot of readers have issues with some of her heroines), but Jilly was just a generous spirit, totally unselfish (she wants Colin to have all that he thinks he needs), smart, a real go-getter, a sometime quirky, sometimes funny charmer--I just loved how she really got to Colin. Now Colin, he had his moments where I wasn't thrilled with him (he was kind of prickly when it came to older brother Luke handing out advice to him); he was used to doing things his own way and I wasn't sure if he had it in him to be unselfish and put somebody first besides himself. He had a lot of growing to do. But make no mistake--he adored Jilly and showed her time and again. *****spoiler ahead****But when he left Jilly at the end of the book to go to Africa (just like he said he would), I felt like he was leaving me! I just about died right along with Jilly.:( How could he leave?! But have no fear--RC made the right decision to have him leave. You knew the devastated Jilly wouldn't stay down for long. And you knew eventually Colin (like his brothers predicted) would come to his senses. Oh, but the agony that RC puts the reader through!*****end spoiler****

The author hints that Jilly looks like this well-known actress..
Photobucket

Besides this main plot, Ms. Carr gives us some very worthy subplots too:

*we find out who is the father of young ex-Marine Denny Cutler. This plot and the character of Denny gets a few chapters in the book. Denny is a great character, and I hope one day he gets his own book.

*one of the older inhabitants of VR seems to have Alzheimer's disease. We get to see how the town reacts and what the family does about it.

* We learn more about Jilly's sous-chef sister Kelly, and learn what she's been hiding about her love life from Jilly...

*The Riordan family (and Jilly) attend Aiden's wedding in Chico. Colin and Jilly have some hot moments in their hotel room before the wedding...

* We see the extent of the sibling rivalry and love/hate relationship between Luke and Colin. Luke has a few busybody moments which remind me of Jack Sheridan...:)

*We briefly meet the hero (widower Lief) for the next book in the series (Harvest Moon), and wonder how any woman will be able to put up with his bratty teenage daughter...

This book was just about perfect for me. The only thing I wished for (as I was blubbering through the last chapters, was more of an ending. While I loved the very emotional finale, I was dying for a bit of an epilogue. Perhaps I'll get what I'm looking for in Harvest Moon? Other than that minor disappointment--o-u-t-s-t-a-n-d-i-n-g! 5 BIG stars!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild Man Creek.

01/08/2011 page 1
01/09/2011
48.0% "No way is Colin going to be able to walk away from Jill..."
01/09/2011
91.0% "Have to stop and have a good cry..."
100.0% "Wow..." 4 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

♡Karlyn P♡ Can't wait to read your review Auntee! I really need to write mine, but bottom-line i thought it another good one! I'm really chomping for Harvest Moon now. We get just enough of their story to really wet the lips but not quench the thirst.

Auntee I just started it and already I find it hard to put down! Plan to read it all day today...:)

Wish I had "Harvest Moon" all set to go next--it's going to be a long wait!

Vicki What a great way to spend the day!

Auntee Tell me about it! The book is awesome so far!

Vicki Fabulous review, can't wait to read it!

Lisa Another great review! This was one of my favorites as well!

Kathrynn I'm looking forward to reading this one! ;-)

Auntee Thanks ladies!
Kathrynn, I know you'll love this one!:)

Kathrynn I hope it comes out early! LOL

message 10: by Buggy (new) - added it

Buggy Thanks for the great review Auntee, this sounds goooood!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Great Review! Gotta get this one!

Auntee Thanks ladies--this one was a real tear-jerker at the end (for me, at least).:)

message 13: by Auntee (last edited Jan 13, 2011 05:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Auntee You know one day she'll be a future heroine! Maybe RC will match her up with Gabe, Clay's son?

I'm a little apprehensive about a hero who looks like the Brawny paper towel man!

Photobucket

Vicki Oh my gosh, that picture! HA!

Samantha Auntee, I've read this one already and when she described that, I cringed!!! LOL!

Auntee I cringed too! Not an image I really want in my head. So, does he really look like this guy? Mustache? Blond? Brawny? lol!

message 17: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Is this a series that should be read in order?

Auntee Definitely, Sharon.:)