Sonia's Reviews > Rot & Ruin

1930362
Jan 16, 2012

bookshelves: have, e-book
Read from November 01 to 04, 2010

Tom Imura is a badass, but a noble and humble one. He has the unfortunate habit of being all zen and spiritual, but I forgive him because of his sheer badass-ocity. (It should be a word - really.) Further in my imagination he was super hot like Keanu Reeves, but even if he wasn't hot, what woman doesn't love a man who returns from the dead riding a horse to save the day by slaying scores of the walking dead?

Benny is alright. Like a fungus, he grew on me. Even the secondary characters were convincing and authentic. I do have to naysay Maberry's choices with Lilah's speech pattern though because anyone who's read as many books as Lilah has might have hesitant, halting, or reluctant speech but wouldn't be dropping articles like Tarzan on downers. Still Lilah is a badass too, though a slightly creepy one.

I really enjoyed how Maberry handled zombies in Rot & Ruin. Visually, I felt the images he created while I read were memorable: the zombies merely standing in one spot until some movement captures their attention, the zombies in The Hungry Forest tied to trees, the zombies surrounding Benny and Tom slowly while they fight their way free. This book could potentially translate into an amazing film. The action sequences are properly tense and exciting, the villian is so loathsome I still feel a little dirty, and the heros are so likeable you want to know them.

The most surprising thing about Rot & Ruin is that it's a good coming-of-age tale with a strong pulse of humanity and a strong message. Sometimes I hate that, but I felt it was handled well and realistically.

I will follow Benny and Tom when they attempt to find the jumbo jet in book two - even if they reek of Cadaverine.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rot & Ruin.