N_Allie l's Reviews > Ruby's Wish

Ruby's Wish by Shirin Yim Bridges

Oct 07, 10

bookshelves: picture-books, award-winning

The story begins in the palace of one old very rich man. This old Gold Rush miner married many wives and had many children. Eventually those children had children and so on and so forth. The whole family lived together "in a certain city in China...once upon a time". Although there were many children living in this palace, one character sticks out to us immediately; Ruby. We learn that Ruby got her name because she loves to wear the color red (red in China signifies celebration).

Ruby becomes unique to the reader at once because she is the only girl to take classes at her grandfather's palace. In those days, girls did not take classes because their sole job was to take care of the home and have children. Ruby soon excels in her studies but learns she cannot go to university because she is a girl.

Ruby continues to study, wishing she was able to attend college. Eventually it is Chinese New Year in the palace and celebrations begin. While Ruby is wishing her family a happy new year, she gets to her grandfather and something happens. He gives Ruby a letter from a university stating that she is accepted and can go to college. Ruby is among the first female students to go university. This wonderful tale is a non-fiction story in which the narrator is, in fact, Ruby's granddaughter.

Ruby's Wish is an engaging, enchanting story for children and teens. The book engages the reader from the beginning and continues the bond throughout. With charming illustrations and quality text, the reader can imagine themselves in the palace form beginning to end. Suggested grades 3rd through 12th.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ruby's Wish.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica This sounds very inspiring. I could see the benefit of reading this to students or having older students read it in a book club. I think that many discussions would arise among students about Ruby and how hard work does pay off. How interesting that Ruby's granddaughter wrote this book in honor of her! That would be a great topic to discuss as well. I think this would be an especially good read for girls. It would help them to realize how far women have come and how perseverance and knowing someone who believes in you can make all the difference in our lives. I like your description of how the book engages the reader throughout. Great find, Allie!

message 2: by N_patricia (new)

N_patricia Brunner This non-fiction book is one that I would like to read to my middle school special education students. It sounds like a good book for a read aloud for my small group class. I also believe it would elicit a good discussion on never giving up. Many of my students need positive inspiring stories like this to motivate them to to strive to be the best they can be.

Three cheers for Ruby and all the "Rubies" out there. I believe in perseverance and having a mentor who believes in you and helps you to obtain your goals.