Deanna Stoube's Reviews > A Kick in the Head: An Everyday Guide to Poetic Forms

A Kick in the Head by Paul B. Janeczko

F_50x66
Oct 01, 10

I'm posting this for Kelsey:

book of poems. There were all different sorts of poetry styles the author included in it like limerick, haiku, sonnet, and even couplet. In the beginning of the book, the author Chris Raschka includes 29 of the rules for each different type of poetry. Each poem had a different feel and emotion to them. I think that kids would really respond well to some of the emotions that were portrayed.
I found the illustrations to be amazing. The artwork was extremely colorful and patterned. The illustrations almost looked like collages of some sort to me. I even found myself excited to turn to the next page to see what picture was next. It was nice to be able to look at the picture and get a visual for the poem.
After reading this book, I thought it would be a wonderful aid to help me teach students about the different forms of poetry. Each poem has a description, and that would help kids to read the description and then have an example that is fun and easy to read. The colors would be sure to entice my students, and I really look forward to including this into my future teaching.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Kick in the Head.