Ella Hormel's Reviews > Timbuktu

Timbuktu by Paul Auster

F 50x66
Oct 01, 2010

bookshelves: currently-reading

** spoiler alert ** Paul Auster’s novel Timbuktu follows the journey of a dog, named Mr. Bones. Mr. Bones has lived his entire life with a homeless man who goes by the name of Willy G. Christmas. Willy’s days are numbered though. Realizing this, Willy takes his beloved Mr. Bones from Brooklyn to Baltimore in hopes of reconnecting his high school English teacher. Not only would this provide a home for Mr. Bones after Willy’s death, he hopes to also put his old teacher in the care of the 74 notebooks of his life’s work. The books are crammed with literature he has written in his lifetime. When Willy’s life comes to an end, Mr. Bones finds himself having to face the solitude of having no one. He must deal with with rejection, loneliness, and disloyalty. I thought that this book really drew me in a reader. What makes this novel interesting is that Mr. Bones is the point-of-view character, therefore the dog is the main focus of this book. Timbuktu was filled with emotional twists and turns. I would not recommend this book to children. Though it may be about a dog, it is definitely not child appropriate. It deals with suicide, death, and betrayal. Overall, I thought that Timbuktu was a heart-wrenching tale that I highly recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Timbuktu.

10/01/2010 page 31