Celine's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

Feb 26, 13

bookshelves: fantasy, romance
Read from July 21, 2012 to February 25, 2013

The Song of Ice and Fire series has been around for over a decade, yet somehow it exploded in popularity a few years back. It now has a TV show, and it has gained so many fans that I won't be surprised if we soon can buy the house flags or miniature figures to play war with.

There are tons of raving reviews for A Game of Thrones, so when my boyfriend gifted me the book I decided to give it a try.

To be very honest, I don't get what all the fuss is about. It's just a standard fantasy book. I have read dozens of books that are like this. It's a decent book, it has some good world-building and a nice history and it must have taken Martin months to just figure out all those characters. But let's be honest, as a casual reader you don't care for 80% of the characters he created. You care for the cast of main characters.

Especially in the beginning of the book I was disappointed with how not-so-greatly written A Game of Thrones was. The children speak like fifty-year-olds and the dialogue is bland. I was expecting exceptional language and beautiful description, but I was sorely disappointed on that point.

People that say they are gripped from the first page are liars. How can the first chapters NOT be confusing? There are masses of names that you have to take track of, and confusing me is not the way to grip me. It took me half a year to get through the first half of the book. The build up is sooooooo slooooooooooowwwwwwwwwww. I really feel like adding a lot more o's and w's to that one, but I'll keep those to myself.

Once the book finally gets started, it really is entertaining. There finally is some war and courtly intrigue and people die and overall the plot starts moving. Sadly, the book doesn't get started until four hundred pages in. That's the length of an entire book, people.

If it wasn't for the TV series, I never would have tried to finish the book. It's a good book, but not any different from so many other fantasy books I have read. Now I have invested so much time in the characters I will continue the series, but if you're daunted by the length of the books, don't start. Just watch the TV series and read a slightly less wordy fantasy book.

Also, did any of you people notice that the entire first book could be condensed to a 100-page prologue to the series?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

07/24/2012 page 128
15.0% 4 comments
10/26/2012 page 205
24.0% "I'm not that impressed by his writing" 3 comments
02/20/2013 page 400
46.0% "FINALLY the pace is picking up"
02/24/2013 page 496
57.0% "Whoa, people do tend to die in this book"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sofia (new)

Sofia Wren The beginning is tough. Good series though.

Celine I hope I can get through the beginning, and see why everyone loves these books so much ^^

•Erin• (Paperback Stash) I have this waiting to be read. You are not inspiring enthusiasm in me about it :)

Tanja Berg I really enjoyed this because I found it far better written than the average book I had read the particular year I picked it up. Martin does drag on and on and on though and by book five I was pretty frustrated. Which is not say I won't read the sixth installment, I most certainly will. :) Maybe the zombies will finally show up!

Philippa I did actually love this book, but your review once again reminded me of how tough the beginning of the book actually was. It takes some time to get into it, but the wait is worth it though. If I'm honest, the most exciting book in the series so far was the 3rd one (I'm currently reading the 4th). And the books could've been so much shorter if Marting wouldn't have used the word 'bastard' several times per page :P

Celine Erin - Ha, sorry! I can recommend some raving 5-star reviews if you need some motivation.

Tanja - Ohh, zombies! I really liked the idea of the Others (and dragons of course, who doesn't love dragons), so I hated having to wait 700 pages until they finally came along. Like you, I'll probably read the rest of the books as well

Philippa - He uses "craven" way too much as well. If he'd mix it up with coward a few times, it would make for much quicker reading. I'm glad to hear the other books are good, I already have the second book on my shelves, waiting to be read. But yeah, even for high fantasy, the beginning is quite awful.