Mare S's Reviews > Magic in the Shadows

Magic in the Shadows by Devon Monk

Jan 18, 11

bookshelves: 2011-reads, fantasy-scifi
Read in January, 2011

I really enjoy the Allie Beckstrom novels. I had to originally put this book down as I was at the will of the library and got swamped. But once I'm able to get into these books, I really enjoy the stories and want to keep reading it until the end. This book fleshes out the world of magic much more and the world that Allie's boyfriend, Zayvion, was a part of. I really love the way the history and universe of magic these books has put into motion. I'll admit the fact that Allie's dad is residing in her head is more than a little creepy - but it's supposed to feel that way, so the reader reacts the same way Allie does at many moments.

What I love most about these books is the character of Allie. She's tough and smart, but she still gets scared and isn't invincible. And despite all of these things, she still throws herself into harm's way when someone is in danger. She cares about people, more than she'd like to admit, and it shows with her choices, even when they backfire.

She's still learning and making mistakes, but it usually comes from a good place.

And really, I'm nothing if not a reader who is loyal to characters I love, especially strong female characters.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic in the Shadows.

10/27/2010 page 21
6.0% "just started"
01/17/2011 page 190
53.0% "I really enjoy these books"