Becky's Reviews > The Painted Darkness

The Painted Darkness by Brian James Freeman

Sep 06, 11

bookshelves: 2011, horror, mystery-and-thrillers, ebook_nook, reviewed
Read on September 05, 2011

This was not at all what I expected. I have had this on my "to read" list for a while, and I'm glad that I read it, because I enjoyed it, quite a lot. This is one of those books that I think people will either really like, or just feel kind of 'meh' about. I think that there were a couple things here that really worked for me.

One of those things is that I have a bit of creation fascination. I am not a creative person really. I have my moments where something will just click, but I have total creation envy for authors and artists and other people who make something out of nothing, especially when the process is an escape from themselves and the world, or maybe an involuntary need to express something. Those kind of compulsory drives to get it out are fascinating to me. And I liked seeing how that was portrayed here.

Another one of those things is the way the story was told, alternating between young Henry and present day adult Henry. I thought that this format worked well. The pacing was just right to keep me interested (and I admit that I was slightly more interested in the Young Henry sections than the Adult Henry ones), and I thought that the tone of the story was excellent. Atmospheric and creepy, while keeping a sense of realism even when things leave realism behind. This wasn't a Shock & Gore story, this was a ...something's just... not... quite... right... story. And I liked it for that. Because it made me think, and wonder, and guess, and I love when stories can do that, and draw me into them and make me care about the characters - or, in this case, character, singular.

This story will stick with me for a while, and even in the process of writing this review, I've been turning it over in my mind and drawing new conclusions and thinking of things in a different way, and I'm liking it even more now because of that.

And, I think I'll just leave it at that.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Painted Darkness.

09/05/2011
12.0% "Interesting beginning, but the formatting of this ebook is awful!"
09/05/2011
100.0% "Interesting..."
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Trudi (new) - added it

Trudi Sounds intriguing! Gotta say, I love that cover :)

Becky I know... the cover is great. I really liked this one, but I can understand why some might find it disappointing. It's different, but I thought it was great.

message 3: by Donna (new) - added it

Donna From Becky's Not a gore statement on is precisely my definition of a GREAT book vs a Good book vs a Gore n Nothing More book. For me a GREAT book is one that can get me so riled up, so emotionally invested that I have to remind myself the characters are not real people! Anything that broadens, enhances or alters my view on a topic is a worthy read.