Childfree Chic's Reviews > Dexter is Delicious

Dexter is Delicious by Jeff Lindsay

4362091
Jan 09, 12

Read from October 01 to 27, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Ugh. This book should have been titled "Babies Ruin Everything" for it contains very little to none of the Very Dark Dexter we know and love. Instead, Dark Dexter had been practically castrated by his new offspring, ending up as prey instead of the predator not once but *twice*. He drones on endlessly about how having a baby has suddenly made him human, which is just another boring way to phrase a tired old cliche:

"Becoming a parent makes you a better person!"

:::insert hurling sounds here:::

Dexter's transformation to a "better person" with "emotions" (which mostly involve the loaf-worship of Lily Ann) made it incredibly difficult to slog through this whole thing. The only redeeming aspect was the reappearance of Brian and his apparent interest in mentoring Cody's and Astor's Dark Passengers. It's a bad sign for Dexter when his biological brother become the most interesting character in the book! Even his foul-mouthed-but-entertaining sister, Deborah, has turned into a broody, predictable caricature thanks to becoming pregnant (and, it seems, a single Mom).

:::insert more hurling here:::

If I want to entertain myself with trite stories about how wonderful breeding is, I'll turn to some glurge-infested Hollywood tripe such as "She's Having a Baby" or "Baby Boom." I don't need a refresher course from Dexter to remind me that babies make everything interesting and fun into something dull, predictable, and utterly mundane. I don't want to read about the mundane.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dexter is Delicious.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Diana You perfectly stated here why i put down the book after only a couple chapters. Wretched!

Missclimpson This book is way too long.