Nic's Reviews > Finnikin of the Rock

Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta

Sep 11, 11

bookshelves: aussie-ya, fantasy, favourite-of-2011, favourites, read-in-2011
Read from September 09 to 11, 2011 — I own a copy

AMAZING! Again I have fallen in love with another bunch of characters. Full review coming.....
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finnikin of the Rock.

Quotes Nic Liked

Melina Marchetta
“Be prepared for the worst, my love, for it lives next door to the best.”

Melina Marchetta
“This hand says you spend the rest of your life with me," he said, holding out his left hand, "and this one says I spend the rest of my life with you. Choose."

She bit her lip, tears welling in her eyes. She took both of his hands in hers and he shuddered. "I will die protecting you," he says.

There was a look of dismay on her face. "Just like a man of this kingdom, Finnikin. Talking of death, yours or mine, is not a good way to begin a-"

Isaboe gave a small gasp when he leaned forward, his lips an inch away from hers. "I will die for you," he whispered.

She cupped his face in her hands. "But promise me you'll live first. Because nothing we are about to do is going to be easy and I need you by my side.”

Melina Marchetta
“Tell me about the farm," she pleaded as drops of blood began to appear on her hand.
"The farm?"
"The farm that Finnikin the peasant would have lived on with his bride."
"Evanjalin. That was her name. Did I mention that?"
She laughed through a sob. "No, you didn't."
"They would plant rows upon rows of wheat and barley, and each night they would sit under the stars to admire what they owned. Oh, and they would argue. She believes the money made would be better spent on a horse, and he believes they need a new barn. But then later they would forget all their anger and he would hold her fiercely and never let her go."
"And he'd place marigolds in her hair?" she asked.
He clasped her hands against his and watched her blood seep through the lines of his skin. "And he would love her until the day he died," he said.”

Melina Marchetta
“Never underestimate the value of knowing another's language. It can be far more powerful than swords and arrows.”

Melina Marchetta
“There are worse things than a lie and there are better things than the truth!”

09/08/2011 page 1
0.0% "Getting ready for Froi of The Exiles :)" 4 comments
09/09/2011 page 133
32.0% "I kind of love Finnikin :)" 1 comment
09/10/2011 page 301
72.0% "Could have stay up all night reading this :)" 1 comment

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Alexa Enjoy! ;)

Milly Oh I thought you've read this one! This book was amazing! I am awed by Melina Marchetta's literary prowess! Go Aussie power!

message 3: by Nic (new) - added it

Nic She is incredible. I am actually reading 3 books at once. I am still in awe of the awesomeness of Raw Blue and struggling to read anything else.

Trinity Ohmegosh! Enjoy!

Amber May I join in on the read with you and Nomes? ;)

message 6: by Nic (new) - added it

Nic Amber wrote: "May I join in on the read with you and Nomes? ;)"

Of course Amber! The more the merrier. I am not able to read it next week with the group so that is why me and Nomes started a bit earlier :)

message 7: by Nic (new) - added it

Nic Trinity wrote: "Ohmegosh! Enjoy!"

It is Marchetta, how can I not :)

~Tina~ Yay's!! Happy Reading Twinie!! Hug Finn for meeeeeeeeeeee!!

Luce I loved this book too- can't wait for Froi of the Exiles!

message 10: by Kathryn (new) - added it

Kathryn really?! I just ordered this and now I'm so excited !!

message 11: by Nic (new) - added it

Nic Kathryn, it is an incredible read. Hope you like it :)

~Tina~ 5 Stars!! Yay's!! I knew you'd love this Twinie!!

message 13: by Nic (new) - added it

Nic I was a little bit confused at first but the characters won me over. They were incredible :)

Trinity I remember listening to this while I was cooking dinner and then suddenly tears were just streaming down my face. Such an amazing book.

message 15: by Nic (new) - added it

Nic There are definitely some scenes that break your heart.

Alexa YAY!!! :D