Joan Cobb's Reviews > The White Woman on the Green Bicycle

The White Woman on the Green Bicycle by Monique Roffey

F_50x66
Oct 01, 10

Read in October, 2010

Sabine and George Harwood come to Trinidad in 1956 from England. This novel takes the reader through the evolution of Trinidad from British colony to modern (if not badly functioning) democracy. Trinidad is multi-racial and tropical, which George immediately loves. Sabine never adjusts and I am not sure why, which is what this novel is mainly about. Guilt about being white? Anger at the ongoing poverty/corruption/crime? Somehow she is able to mentally fight this move for 50 years and continues to want to move back to England. Love story? Maybe, but George and Sabine seem to have a love/hate relationship that I would not characterize as a great marriage. I cannot say that I like either person. The description of Trinidad and an explanation of Trinidad's painful early years of independence are more interesting to me than Sabine's self seeking. Would make a good Book Club selection in discussing the ups and downs of international living.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The White Woman on the Green Bicycle.