Elizabeth's Reviews > Talk to the Hand: The Utter Bloody Rudeness of Everyday Life

Talk to the Hand by Lynne Truss

Oct 01, 10

Read in September, 2010

You know, it's very easy to read Lynne Truss--she writes smooth and amusing prose, and you're halfway through the book before you realize that it isn't going ANYWHERE.

If this woman hadn't already written a bestseller that actually gives reasonable advice I don't *really* think any editor would have considered publishing this grouchy and extended rant about nothing. Half of it doesn't even have to do with politeness (her supposed topic), or lack thereof, but about the author's personal dislikes of the noise of apple chewing (or whatever). I totally agree with her on many occasions, but honestly, who wants to hear MY extended rants about personal space? Hers are just as tedious and fame doesn't really make them any more worth reading.

The shred of advice she gives--let's all try to be a little more polite--is well taken. But it didn't need over two hundred pages to say it and I can't imagine anyone's going to pay any attention.

yrs. sincerely,

grumpy woman who already knew where to put her apostrophes
7 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Talk to the Hand.