Tina's Reviews > The New World

The New World by Patrick Ness

Oct 01, 2010

bookshelves: ebooks, 2010, dystopia-post-apocalyptic, ya
Recommended to Tina by: Aaron Vincent
Recommended for: fans of Chaos Walking series (duh), and people who are curious about the Chaos Walking series
Read on October 01, 2010 — I own a copy

Original post at One More Page

When Aaron tweeted about this book novella, I squealed inside the office. No joke. I immediately called my friend Jana from her workstation, who squealed too, and once again with me, when we found out it was free. This book was one of the reasons we disrupted the peace and quiet at the office that Friday afternoon.

It's no secret that I loved Patrick Ness' The Knife of Never Letting Go, and I was really looking forward to reading the next two books in the trilogy, especially since Monsters of Men came out in paperback last week. Although I haven't read the second and third books yet, my friends have told me so much about it that I know I would probably like it as well. When you like a book/series this much and you haven't even read it all yet, any companion novel is bound to make you excited. At least, that's how I see it.

The New World is a 23-page novella that tells us how Viola landed in the New World (aka Todd's world) and glimpses of her life before she reached the planet. Here, we meet her parents, as well as some of her friends and we get to know about her, most especially her survival skills. The prose is sharp and the action flows smoothly through flashbacks and the present time. It's not as raw or awkward as Todd's point of view was, but I think Viola's voice was very accurate to how I knew her from the first book.

This was a very quick read, and I was kind of hoping to read a bit of a crossover with the story in Knife in Viola's POV, but there was none. However, I agree that this novella can be read even if you have read the three books already or if you are new to the trilogy -- it really doesn't matter. It may seem to be a bit spoilery for some events in Knife, but it's not really a big deal, IMHO. If you're kind of daunted by the title or the thickness or the story in the first book of the Chaos Walking series, then The New World is definitely a good place to start in this awesome series. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New World.

message 1: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Acupan Where did you find it? You said it was free.

Tina Ariel wrote: "Where did you find it? You said it was free."

Amazon.com. It's free for Kindle. Sign up for an Amazon account, then download Kindle for PC, then download the book to your Kindle for PC. :)

Tina Aaron Vincent wrote: "An easier one: http://www.booktrust.org.uk/show/feat..."

Oh there you go. Thanks Aaron. :)

message 5: by Ariel (new)

Ariel Acupan that's what I like about Aaron, he understands. hahahahaha. Thanks dude. ^_^

Tina Ariel wrote: "that's what I like about Aaron, he understands. hahahahaha. Thanks dude. ^_^"

Haha sorry naman :P

message 7: by Ace (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ace adik! haha

Tina Ace: super ikli lang! Kaya tapusin sa isang commute :p

message 9: by Ace (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ace I hope they will release a printed edition of this novella, I want this in my book collection.

Aaron Vincent Hey, you're link to One More Page isn't working. :)

message 11: by Tina (last edited Oct 03, 2010 07:27PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tina Aaron Vincent wrote: "Hey, you're link to One More Page isn't working. :)"

Wait, I think I scheduled the post instead of posting it immediately. It'll be up in a few minutes. :D

Okay it's up. :)