Patricia's Reviews > Barbarians at the Gate: The Fall of RJR Nabisco

Barbarians at the Gate by Bryan Burrough

Apr 15, 08

bookshelves: nonfiction
Recommended to Patricia by: hbs
Recommended for: anyone in business school
Read in March, 2008

This book appealed to my morbid curiosity. It was like watching a train wreck... I just couldn't tear my eyes away. I was totally facinated by the raunchiness and greed of Ross Johnson. I was blown away by the unfolding of the events in the last quarter of the book. I think that it makes an interesting commentary on the social pcychology of bankers. I loved it and I think that it is something that everyone going into business should read.

It was in my husbands distribution box at school. He was supposed to read it for his finance class. I picked it up to take a look at it and didn't put it down for two months.

One change I would make is that I think that the authors should have been more judicious about what information they included. There was a lot of unecessary information. My brain had to let a lot of information go in one ear and out the other. There was a career history on everyone... even people who made no impact on the outcome of the novel what so ever.

Still, the amount of research done was breath taking. I still can't imagine how it was written. It must have taken thousands of hours to compile all the information. Also, I can't believe that so many people from the book agreed to interview and that some of the information was so candid.
This is a great read if you don't mind wading through superfluous information.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Barbarians at the Gate.