Serena's Reviews > Monster: The Autobiography of an L.A. Gang Member

Monster by Sanyika Shakur

F_50x66
Oct 05, 10

bookshelves: currently-reading

The genre of my book is autobiographical. I like these types of books because I know they are real. I chose this book because it looked like a book hat I could relate to, and after reading it I could. This book is essentially about a L.A gang member named “Monster” Kody Scott of the Crips. How he joined the gang when he was eleven, and the situations and problems he was faced with. To me it seems like it breaks down this problem many people are stuck dealing with. He explains that gang banging is extremely more then fighting over a color. Which is what most people who have never experienced it all first hand tend to think it is.
I think the central conflict in this book is society. Monster was more or less faced with the problem of being a gang member because of where he lived. This is something I can completely understand. I think if he was not surrounded with the pressure of being a Crip, and how everyone in his neighborhood glamorized it. I don’t think he would have gotten sucked in to it all. The theme of this book is where he learns from his mistakes. The literary device that is used in this book is, flashbacks because it is all Monsters recollection. It is all from what he remembers.
Monster did not necessarily have a style to me. Sine it was an autobiography t was all just what he went through. From the time when he was eleven when it all started, till his prison time. I really like this book, because like I said earlier it is a book I can relate to. Not exactly every aspect of what he went through, but the concept itself. Joining a gang and doing things that you don’t quit regret. But things that help me make the right decisions further down the road. Doing things that help me figure out what I don’t want in my life. I would recommend this book to everyone, because it helps bring on a lot of realization. This book explains the in’s and out’s of gang banging. Not just in South Central but everywhere. The concept of it, the reasons why you see gang bangers on the ten o’clock news. It is not all because they want to be cool. It is because they truly think it is right. Because most people don’t understand how gang banging becomes these peoples life’s, it consumes them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monster.