Kate's Reviews > Our Band Could Be Your Life: Scenes from the American Indie Underground, 1981-1991

Our Band Could Be Your Life by Michael Azerrad

Oct 20, 2010

Read from September 30 to October 17, 2010

Very entertaining. Made me wish I liked the Butthole Surfers' music, given how funny those assholes are... and confirmed that I still think Mudhoney is totally boring.

It was fun in to learn who's friends with who and about the making of a national network of bands that just wanted to melt your face.

Black Flag's "My War" got like 34 mentions in the book, and only half were in the Black Flag chapter.

Of note: a few years ago I heard a Replacements record at a party and thought "WOW these guys are awesome" so I went to Reckless on Milwaukee and asked for "the record where the Replacements really kick ass." The clerk gave me _Pleased to Meet Me_ and I was so fucking disappointed upon listening to it. I thought maybe I was just drunk at the party where I'd heard them and thought they were better than they actually were. Turns out everyone thinks that record blows and it's a really terrible representation of their music. News to no one: Reckless continues to suck!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Band Could Be Your Life.

09/30/2010 page 250