M.J. Fiori's Reviews > Anansi Boys

Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman

I'm starting to realize that I love Neil Gaiman in theory more than I do in reality. His books are hit or miss for me. He is definitely a *great* reader to hear in person - I heard him read a chapter of The Graveyard Book at the Unitarian church in Boulder a few years ago, one of the best readings I've been to - and keeps an engaging blog. But I have never gone off my head over anything he's written, except maybe the graphic work.

The Graveyard Book would have been ideal to read to/with the boys had they been a little bit older. Gaiman's "adult" works like Anansi Boys, American Gods and Stardust still smack of YA fiction to me. Which would be fine if that's what they were. Alas, they are neither fish nor foul - not adult and complex enough to fully engage my attention, brain and imagination. And a bit too adult in some content for the so-called youths.

I haven't read Neverwhere yet. I had the unfortunate experience of being scarred by an attempted viewing of the BBC dramatization from the 90s. Horrid, truly horrid.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anansi Boys.