Kereesa's Reviews > Vampire Academy

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Oct 23, 2010

bookshelves: 2010-september-to-december, young-adult, lives-up-to-the-hype, urban-fantasy, vampires, paranormal-romance, paranormal, friendship, grrl-power, we-are-never-getting-back-together
Read from October 19 to 21, 2010 , read count: 1

So I started this without any really expectation and found by page 10 I was hooked. It was good, suspenseful and had a character who's voice really brought the story to life. Set in a school for vampires (made me think of vampire knight and *sigh* the house of night series) the story follows Rose as she tries to protect her best friend Lissa from the forces out to get her and from the craziness of her own mind. Add a very very sexy Russian guy and the picture is complete :).
Characters? Rose was obviously the best, considering she was the main character. She had style, hilarious comebacks and remained a good narrator for most of the plot. I felt the character truly came alive though the voice the author gave her and really loved Rose. <3 Lissa, the bff, I honestly didn't like that much. She was pretty erratic most of the time and didn't really seem to listen to reason or logic. I enjoyed the relationship she and Rose had but I felt that she took Rose for granted and wasn't the best of friends to her. Then again that's what made her interesting so kudos? Dimitri, ah, Dimitri. What can I say? He's a sexy Russian guy who's awesome at kicking butt and to look at....*sigh* Dimitri :P The villains in this baby were pretty damn good too so no complaints here, I was pretty surprised at their unmasking too so definite points there.
Plot? I think the plot here was pretty good, a bit stereotypical but good and flowed really well during the novel. There is one aspect of it I really didn't like though. Flashbacks. I know, I know, I know flashbacks are the worst thing to write and add in a story well. However, the fact that there were so many of them and most of the developing plot focused and depended on them, I really felt this method of using them destroyed parts of the book for me. It was like reading the footnotes in a play, they broke up the story too much for you to get into the flow.
Writing? Richelle Mead knows how to write. Her capability to write through Roza's voice was great and I felt the story really come alive through her main character. She kept me in suspense and I enjoyed that.
All in all? This was an excellent book. It had a good characters, a fun plot and loads of funny moments. While the flashbacks really hindered my ability to get into this book or enjoy it to its fullest, it didn't stop me from reading it or deciding to read the rest in the series. A great start for a first novel, Bravo. 4/5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vampire Academy.

10/19/2010 page 1
10/20/2010 page 104
31.0% "and I wish I didn't have homework or I'd read it all day...."