Shannon C.'s Reviews > Bayou Moon

Nov 18, 11

bookshelves: magic-special-powers, shapeshifters
Recommended for: PNR fans
Read from September 30 to October 01, 2010

4.5 stars: Bayou Moon is the second book in The Edge series. We met William, the wolf shapeshifter, in book one. He is living as a recluse in the Edge--the border area between the Weird (magic) and the Broken (not magic) worlds. High ranking members of the Mirror (secret service) show up at his door to tell him his nemisis the Spider is back. The Spider is a murderer runs a group known as the Hand--magic altered, very creepy and tough bad guys. William goes undercover into the Mire, swamp land in the Edge, to track him down and discover an elusive journal that Spider is hunting.

The Mar family is a land rich, cash poor family living in the Mire. They've had a long running feud with the Sheeriles, a rival clan. When Cherise Mar's parents go missing, she is shocked to discover that the powerful Hand helped the Sheerilies with the disappearance. What does the Hand want with her parents? The Sheerilies are trying to take some of the Mar's land. Cherise must find a way to take back their land and save her parents. While on a mission to the Broken to track down some key legal papers, she meets William. At first they do not trust each other, but over time they learn that the Hand is an enemy of both. They agree to work together in the fight against the Hand.

I was very pleasantly surprised by this book--it is definitely better than the first book. It has a highly imaginative, fast paced, suspenseful storyline. Terrific mix of action, suspense, mystery, humor and romance. The original world building was very well done.

I loved the main characters and found many of the supporting cast interesting. Cherise was a strong lead female who runs her clan in her parent's absense. I loved her kick a$$ sword abilities--some great fight scenes. I liked William when he was a side character in the first book, and liked him more as his character was developed in this book.

Only negative to me was a part towards the end, which I didn't buy--can't say more because it's a spoiler. It seemed like a contrived conflict (like what you'd find in some romance books) and didn't seem to jive with what we knew about William & Cherise's characters. But that was only one small part of the book, and ultimately this book has a happy ending. I liked the setup for the next book and hope William & Cherise's story will continue.

If you are looking for simliar books, here are others I enjoyed if you want to check them out. Top favs are marked with an asterisk.

Mercy Thompson* and Alpha & Omega* series by Patricia Briggs (Don't miss the anthology in On the Prowl,which is a prequel to Cry Wolf)
Kate Daniels* series by Ilona Andrews
Night Huntress* series by Jeaniene Frost
Sookie Sackhouse* by Charlaine Harris
Cassandra Palmer and Dorina Basarab Dhampir* series by Karen Chance (I like Dory better than Cassie, but from a timeline perspective Cassie comes first. Dory is a great kick butt character reminiscent of Kate Daniels.)
World of Lupi series by Eileen Wilks
Jane True by Nicole Peeler
Fever series by Karen Moning
Circle series by Linda Robertson
Elemental Assassin series by Jennifer Estep

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bayou Moon.

09/30/2010 page 111
23.0% "WOW this book is so good! I'm loving it."