Gokce ~Muslin Myst~'s Reviews > Dance with the Devil

Dance with the Devil by Sherrilyn Kenyon

What a beautiful book. This is by far the best of the series I've read so far. A well 5 star deserving read.

This time we're with Zarek, the antisocial Dark-Hunter who hates everything and everyone, and Astrid, the daughter of the goddess of Justice who's charged with the 'judgment' of Zarek to determine whether he could live with others or should die.

I gotta say, Astrid's got a handful. I absolutely loved her, I think she may be my favourite female of the series so far, she was determined, strong, understanding and, as opposed to what she thought of herself, passionate and loving. She was definitely a perfect match for Zarek's frozen heart.
Since she's been 'judging' charges for a very long time and finding them all guilty so far, Astrid has doubts about her 'humanity'. She believes her compassion has long died and she's in need of a break from all her duties. That's when Acheron, who's still desperately trying to save Zarek from a very cruel fate, comes and asks her personally to judge Zarek and decide if he's worthy of living. This is the point where I'm blown away by Acheron's knowledge of all things.

Zarek was a very difficult guy. He's been through a lot, he's been tortured, hated, beaten, humiliated and never ever loved. By anyone. He doesn't know the words love, compassion and mercy because he's never shown any. So, over the years, he's become this bitter man who hates everyone most especially himself. He doesn't see himself worthy of anything, especially Astrid. But from the very beginning we see that he actually has a big heart and he's helpful and a very lonely guy who secretly craves the love he's been denied all his life.

I have to admit, I came dangerously close to crying reading about Zarek's past. He's such a scarred soul that all you want to do is become Astrid and move the story further by embracing him and never letting go. Of course there's a long way to that point when it comes to this guy because he's just too bitter. Any act of kindness he considers with doubt. For him, nothing is ever free and the cost is always too high. And naturally it's not easy to deal with someone like him, they always tend to push you away, but Astrid was so nice with him. After she was convinced he was 'innocent' she concentrated on breaking the wall he's built on the outside and let the real man pour out.

There was one other thing about this book that made me love it so much, The Little Prince. The parts where Zarek quoted from the book, either in his dreams where he begged for an end to his loneliness or in reality when he said the words to Astrid in loving, they were my favourite parts. There was just something so beautiful about a man like Zarek to cherish a story like this one.

I was also glad to see more insight to Acheron's character. He's a complete mystery to me, starting from his strange relationship with Artemis, to his devotion to his Dark-Hunters and, realized in this book, his love for the demon girl he carries on his skin. I thought his book was too far in the series but it seems like ten or so books are not enough to make us understand this guy. A part of me can't help but think it would be a great loss for the Dark-Hunters to lose him to a HEA!

So this is my favourite book of the series so far. It was beautiful, emotional and full of love.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dance with the Devil.

10/20/2010 page 99
27.0% ""'Rumpelstiltskin,' he said before he tossed a live grenade underneath the helicopter." Gotta love this guy!"
10/20/2010 page 190
52.0% "So many emotions rolling through me..I love that she keeps hugging him. I think I'm in love!" 4 comments
10/21/2010 page 258
70.0% ""Using her limited powers, Astrid 'helped' the signal." -Is this cute or what? :)"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Elena R a.k.a. Lunies R Zarek was one the the first Dark Hunters I feel in love with,like right from the beginning when all the DH guys couldn't stand him. Oh My I love his story,let me know when you start getting teary eyed! lol!

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ I know!! Whe they first started talking about him even before he came to town I knew I liked him. There's just something so appealing about guys who're called so cold and sociopathic :)

I already got teary eyed! I just only found out about his brothers tormenting him and then the market part where Valerius was there and his father sold him. I actually stopped reading for a while to wonder about how I would soothe him!

Elena R a.k.a. Lunies R Gokce wrote: "I know!! Whe they first started talking about him even before he came to town I knew I liked him. There's just something so appealing about guys who're called so cold and sociopathic :)

I already ..."

OMG!! That scene is so Horrific! You're making me teary eyed all over again, *sniffles* I can't imagine watching someone go through something like that :( but after all that, he's got a big heart, I wanna squeeze him like if he were my own personnel Teddy Bear :)

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Ah, I know. So far, he's got the worst past. It was pretty hard to read those parts you know, and I don't feel depressed so easily reading such stuff. It broke my heart.
And I felt bad for Valerius too, trying to help but always making it worse. And that father of theirs, I don't know what I'd do to that guy if I ever crossed paths GRRRR.

Elena R a.k.a. Lunies R Then you should take a break between the books to this series which was your plan anyways,cause some of the Dark Hunters have some horrifying pasts. *teary eyed-again* lolz! I'm such a sap! LOL! I was never that kind of person,but my books turned me into one,hahaha...

OMG! You're gonna loooooove Val's story,your gonna cry with him too and feel so bad for him. But it's also a very funny book! haha....especially when Zarek starts picking on Val,it's sooooo funny,but at the same time I felt so bad for him,ahhh....I can't wait for you to read it! Yeeesh! I'm gettin all excited over something so small! hahahaha...

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ LOL! Well, I'm usually a cryer so no difference there but some of these guys seem to have really bad pasts!

Yeah, I heard Val's book is pretty awesome, seems like everyone loves him. I know his HEA is Kyrian's sister-in-law, right? Man, poor guy's surrounded by so many people who hate him!
There are a couple of guys whose stories I can't wait so I'll try to gradually work my way up to the most recent book :)

Elena R a.k.a. Lunies R Haha...if you're crying your ass off now,then you have a long way to go......As an emotional reader,boxes of tissues don't cut it,I had to upgrade to Jumbo Paper Towels...LOL! *shakes head* Crazy!! haha...

Yes! Val's mighty fantastic woman is Tabatha! WoooHooo...they were definitely made for each other. There both insanely Crazy! hahaha.....Perfect!

Well I can say,that yes almost all of them have a very sad & horrific past,but then again,That's what makes the story so intriguing..MmmmmHmmmm....these Dark Hunters & Were Hunters got me all twisted!! haha...It's gonna take me some time to recover from this series,Lmao!

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Oh wow, you say you're not even a cryer and yet you upgraded to Jumbo paper tolwels!! I feel sorry for my eyes :D

Well, I got a loooong way to go with this series so yay! \o/

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Thanks Danielle! :)

message 11: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Wonderful review, chica! I too adore Zarek. When I read this book, I'd already read the BDB books and Zarek reminded me very strongly of Zsadist, who you know I LOVE. His past is just horrific, and I always feel worse when Valerius tried to help him because, by trying to show kindness and that he cared, Val seemed to make it worse for poor Z.

I can't wait for you to read Val's book! When I read Val's, I hadn't read Z's yet, so I didn't know the connection between them already, but knowing that connection certainly makes the book even better. And Tabitha is totally awesome. Crazy, loving, bluntly honest...Perfect for Val's wounded soul.

You're right that it doesn't seem like enough books to understand and get to know Ash! Even after his own book he is still somewhat of a mystery.

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Thanks babe!
That's what I thought! And then they called him Z a couple of times and my mind kept going to Zsadist! LOL. They really were quite similar, I missed Zsadist. One of these days I'll find the time to re-read BDB *sigh*

I can't wait for his book either! I felt really bad for him too, he was practically torn between his loyalty to his family and the guilt he felt for Zarek. Not to mention the shit he's gonna have to go through in his book when everyone will probably give him a hard time.

I'm looking forward to Ash's book like nothing else ;D

message 13: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Yeah! His past reminded me so much of Zsadist and it made me yearn for my Z. LOL.

Oh, I know. LOL :D

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Oh, you have no idea, babe. The things those Dark-Hunters and Squires put Val through...

Really? And Squires too?? Those bastards! LOL.

message 15: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Yeah, especially my very own Nick Gautier. Because his loyalties lie with Kyrian so he really doesn't care if there's anything good in Val or not, he just treats Val like shit. Even Val's own Squire! It's just horrible. At one point, Tabby puts Otto (Val's Squire) in his place and it's one of the best parts of the book.

Of course, in an ironic twist, Otto also happens to be one of my favorites in the series. And definitely my favorite Squire after Nicky! ;P

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog) Great review Gokce, Zarek's book is one of my faves in the series as well : )

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Leah, is this Otto the same guy who came to Alaska supposedly leading the group to kill Zarek? I think that guy's name was Otto too. He had a verbal thing going on with a female Dark-Hunter. I thought he was pretty cool for a Squire.

Thanks Suzanne, yeah I really loved this one, it'll be hard for the rest to top this in my heart :) Maybe except Acheron cause everyone says that was epic!

message 18: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah I believe so, yes. There's only one Otto in the series so if he came with the group to kill Zarek, then that's my Otto. I just adore him and I hope he gets a book soon :D

Acheron is definitely epic, but Zarek will always have a special place in your heart. Trust me.

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ I thought Otto was pretty cool and I didn't think he was a Squire until they said so! He was a badass! LOL. Did any of the Squires ever got a book before? That would be awesome cause his book I'd be interested to read ;)

Oh I know babe, I know. I totally trust you about that.

message 20: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Hmmm...Well, one of the heroines becomes a Squire because she finds out about DHs and WHs, and it was either "become a Squire or we will be forced to kill you." LOL. Also, there is a novella in the anthology My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding where a Squire is the heroine. Other than that, no not yet.

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Wow. They leave you with great choices huh? LOL.
Cool, I can't wait to read them. Does this heroine Squire later fall for her DH? Cause I think I read a plot like that or am I imagining it? I swear these days I flat out make stuff up in my mind *sigh*

message 22: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Oh yeah. And it's funny because her boss is one of the top Squires and she didn't know until she found out about all the DH stuff. However, this book actually happens to be one in the series that I didn't really like.

She's the Squire of another DH, and they've loved each other for years. It's actually quite a cute story and it was unfortunately rather short D:

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ I gotta put the short stories in order too and see if ı can find them. I'm already buzzing with anticipation to read the next book just so I can get closer to the ones I really wanna read ;)

message 24: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LOL. The shorts aren't really that crucial to the series, well some are but not all. I have almost all the anthologies. Once I get the last few, I'll have all the DH books! :D

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Oh man, I was planning to read them just because I wanted to but would I lose too much if I don't squeeze them in?

Wohoo Leah! Way to go!! :D

message 26: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah No not really. I mean, there are some characters from the shorts who are mentioned here or there and details of their stories may be mentioned but there's nothing really that you NEED to read for the rest of the series.

I have a PDF file of one of the shorts. It's actually one that comes between Dance with the Devil and Kiss of the Night (the next book for you to read), so if you want I can give you the link for it.

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Oh good. I already have like 15 books to read from the series LOL.
Oh? Well, sure chica, it's short anyway, I can always squeeze it in. Hopefully :D

message 28: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah LOL. That's right! You don't have time for all these shorts! LOL

Read this one before Acheron. It's like 20 pages so it shouldn't take you very long. It's not really a short story, but it does explain a couple of things with Nick that is part of the plotline in the series:

This is the short that comes after Kiss of the Night:

Gokce ~Muslin Myst~ Leah you're awesome! But you already know that ;D
Thanks babe!

message 30: by Leah (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leah Yes, yes, I already know that. But it's certainly nice to hear ;)
You are welcome, chica. I love spreading the SK love. LOL ;P