TJ's Reviews > Black Ice

Black Ice by Anne Stuart

Oct 28, 2010

bookshelves: contemporary, romantic-suspense, suspense-thriller
Read from October 27 to 28, 2010

Yep, I'd say Ms. Stuart can write contemporaries, and can she ever write romantic/suspense! This is one of the best RS books I have read in a LONG time! It reminded me of the James Bond film "Casino Royale". The Hero is the same type, he does his job, using whatever means is necessary, killing whoever gets in his way, he has no real value on his own life - only as much as it pertains to finishing his task. Then a completely innocent young woman inadvertently gets caught in the middle. Having long ago stopped worrying about "collateral damage" he is surprised when he actually intervenes and saves her life. That one act, however, seals his fate. A fate that he is prepared for - as long as she isn't a part of it.

Stuart keeps the reader on the edge of their seat through out the entire book. I was never able to guess what would happen next, let alone how this story would end. I had even prepared myself for the inevitable bittersweet ending but once again, it took a turn, a twist that was a complete surprise. It left me satisfied but still wanting more. If one is a fan of high action, thriller and romantic suspense, "Black Ice" is among the best!

4.5 stars (only because I wish there had been a little more explanation of what it was Bastien saw in Chloe than made him fall for her and that the very end wouldn't have been quite so abrupt.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Ice.

Tammy Walton Grant Strap yourself in for this one, Tam! I hear Bastien is a bad, BAD boy. (I'm starting this one tonite!)

message 2: by TJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

TJ I can't wait to hear what you think about it. I haven't bought it, yet so I will wait to see!

message 3: by TJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

TJ Ya know, every time I say something like that I end up finding it at the library. I now have it on hold, waiting to see if you like it.

Tammy Walton Grant I'm interested to see how you would compare this one to Ruthless - I'll be waiting to hear from you.

message 5: by TJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

TJ I noticed you gave it 4 stars but didn't say anything. Did YOU think it was as good as Ruthless?

Tammy Walton Grant There are so many reviews of this book -- it's like the Holy Grail to lots of Anne Stuart fans -- that I didn't bother. But, if you go to my review you can see what I said when I was blabbing about it. The way Anne Stuart writes, I forget it's a black ops type book (don't usually care for those ones).

I like historicals much better than contemporaries (that's just me, doesn't matter who writes them). The Ice book I gave 4 stars, Ruthless was a glowing 4.5.

I have the second Ice book here as well, but I don't know if I like them well enough to go out and get the whole series - unlike the Rohan series - I'd buy that one all over again, if I could.

message 7: by TJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

TJ Hah, I didn't realize Black Ice turned into more than one book! Nice to know. We'll see when I finish...

Tammy Walton Grant Different bad boys, all work for same covert group, I think.

Tammy Walton Grant Hi Tam, great review -- are you going to keep on with the series?

message 10: by TJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

TJ I was just reading the reviews for the second one. Zosia HATED it, Danielle LOVED it. So, I checked at the library to see if I could read it without paying. #2 and #3 are available so I think I will give them a go. How about you?

Tammy Walton Grant I have #2 here, so I can read it anytime (I read it quite a while ago). Why don't you let me know when you get #2 and we can buddy read?

message 12: by TJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

TJ Okey dokey (and yee haw and all that!)

Tammy Walton Grant You keep that up (okey dokey) and I'll think you're Canadian! Throw in a "you betcha" too and you've aced it. :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Tammy, I'm glad you liked it. That was very insightful about comparing it to Casino Royale. I love spy suspense, so this is up my alley. Cold As Ice is kind of different from Black Ice. Jensen is more 'intellectually-cold' than Bastien. Bastien is more cunning and lethal, and Jensen thinks rings around his foes. It's been a while since I read it, but that's what I remember. I plan to reread these this winter. I'll be curious to see what you think of it.

message 15: by TJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

TJ I just noticed Zosia HATED Cold As Ice. Her reasons were that Jensen treated the heroine like dirt all the way through the book, then she just fell at his feet at the end without him doing anything to redeem himself, the end. That is my biggest screaming pet peeve in books. Am I going to want to torch the book if I read it?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I can't say, Tammy. If you were okay with Bastien, I think you'll probably be okay with Jensen. Genevieve is actually more fiesty than Chloe. It didn't bother me. I generally don't agree with Zosia on most books, so I can't really say based on my own tastes.

message 17: by TJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

TJ Thanks Danielle! I had already ordered it from the library, so I'll try it.