P.'s Reviews > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Sep 30, 2010

bookshelves: fictive, historical
Read from September 30 to October 01, 2010

Dear Goodreads,

I love epistolary novels! And the Ivy & Bean series. Still, this book languished on my "oh, I should read that..." list. Until an email from the Teen Services Coordinator came in asking for volunteers for the Will Call table at the Annie Barrows lecture here in Pittsburgh. Lo, I was free that night. I wouldn't mind some free tickets to see her speak in exchange for an hour of light labor.

Annie Barrows is an entertaining speaker. She's one of those ladies whom you'd like to be your aunt. Maybe because she had such a great aunt--that's Mary Ann Shaffer, the author of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society. Annie's aunt Mary Ann was (is?) a born storyteller, but she never finished all of the novels she meant to write--except for this one. I'm glad she did.

Although it's probably true that such a Society is an idealized creation, who cares. It was lovely to meet them.

Best,
Tessa

Roberta Tessa, I was there that night, but I didn't see you. She WAS a good speaker. I didn't meet her, but she seemed genuiniely friendly as she was exiting to sign books.