Kereesa's Reviews > Ptolemy's Gate

Ptolemy's Gate by Jonathan Stroud

Sep 30, 2010

bookshelves: favorites, young-adult, unnoticed-but-amazing, own, demons-magic, friendship, grrl-power, it-made-me-cry, 2011, urban-fantasy, alternate-history, cuddle-plus, fangirling, own-hardcovers
Read from August 02 to 04, 2011 — I own a copy

It's been three years since the devastating events (WHICH I WILL NOT TELL YOU ABOUT, SO GO READ THE BOOK), featured at the end of The Golem's Eye. Now, Nathaniel has become a minister at the age of 17, and is a close confident to the PM himself. If only his department wasn't having such a hard time with their current workload, and if the British Empire wasn't losing a war with their various colonies throughout Asia, Europe and North America, and if he didn't suddenly realize that the magicians he's working with are so corrupt it's breaking his childhood fancies. Oh, and Bartimaeus has become so unhealthy and weak from being in this world that he's nearly begging to be released. If only Nathaniel could let him go. Kitty, on the other hand, has been busy working on her own magical abilities, and is looking forward to summoning a particular demon she'd like to have a chat with. As always with the Bartimaeus trilogy novels, conspiracy, fast-paced action, and loads of sarcasm follow in this lovely end to the series.

WHY DID IT HAVE TO END????!!!! ARRRRRRGGG.

It's been like 4 years since this book has been out, and I STILL WANT MORE BARTY. It's tragic how much of a crush I have on this literary character. I think I'm going to start a bookshelf just for him, and the other characters I have crushes on.

Oh, right, I was doing a review..

So, Ptolemy's Gate is definitely one of the best Bartimaeus books (there are four). The conspiracy finally gets to be fully revealed with lots of bangs!, twists, turns, and revelations of dramatic importance. And yes, the first time I read this lovely piece of wonderfulness, I was quite surprised at the end result. Re-reading for the 3rd time (or so) has definitely loosened that charm, but it still had that familiar action packed, fast paced fun to it that made me die with every twist.

Character development for all three of my darlings reaches a all time high in this novel, with Nathaniel becoming a better person, and living up to the potential Bartimaeus saw in him so many years ago. Kitty matures as well, and we get to see how really strong, and loyal a person she really is. Bartimaeus even gets some character development not only in relation to Nat and Kitty, but as himself. He finds hope again, and he finds friendship in spite of his sarcastic remarks. (Which I won't lie about, I love every single one of them) We also get to see the truth about a certain part of his past we've been wondering about, and it's interesting to watch how that changed and molded him, as well as how much it hurt him. Seeing Bartimaeus weak, and just real is probably one of the best things about this book, because for so long he's put up this front about how awesome he is. (which is true) Seeing his vulnerability, however, makes him even better as a character, and adds needed depth. It's wonderful to see how well they do work together, even though it only lasts for this one book, and makes you wonder what they could've done together had it happened sooner.

Plotwise, this book is, as expected, full of action, and just typical Bartimaeus fun times. At one point I did wonder if the book could've been longer in some way, but realized that in a sense it was because of the amount of set-up we're giving in the second book, The Golem's Eye. (And even to some degree the first one, the Amulet of Samarkand). Stroud does a good job connecting, and flowing these books into each other that there's a definite sense of the trilogy as whole, while still keeping the novels separate individualities as books. What I mean by this is that each novel didn't have cliffhangers and ended mid-sentence. There was an end to each of them, yet they still connected really well together as a whole.

As to the ending, I loved and hated it. It was beautiful in a sense of the message Stroud was telling us, and it brought redemption. It also prevented the story from continuing from there, so no more Bartimaeus during that time at least :(. I hated it because it was sad. And it made me sad. Very very sad. I didn't cry very much this time around, re-reading it, but I pretty much bawled my eyes out the first time I did.

All in all, Ptolemy's Gate was one of my favorite Bartimaeus novels, and is an excellent end to the series. All the things you've loved about the series is still here, and Stroud wraps up nicely the sub-plots and mysteries you've been dying to find out about since Amulet. Beautifully heartbreaking, it gets a big 5/5.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ptolemy's Gate.

Quotes Kereesa Liked

Jonathan Stroud
“According to some, heroic deaths are admirable things. I've never been convinced by this argument, mainly because, no matter how cool, stylish, composed, unflappable, manly, or defiant you are, at the end of the day you're also dead. Which is a little too permanent for my liking.”
Jonathan Stroud, Ptolemy's Gate

08/03/2011 page 208
42.0% "Definitely my favorite of the trilogy <3"