Eric Moreno's Reviews > The Black Company

The Black Company by Glen Cook

Mar 07, 11

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from February 03 to March 01, 2011

** spoiler alert ** This story caught me off guard at first. I places you directly into the action, with little to no explanation of what is going on or who it is we are following. I found it a little jarring and difficult to deal with, but then I sat down and read. I couldn't put it down once I was finally immersed in the world. The story was great, I loved the way it was written as a company's annals and the bits and pieces of the world we were made to glean from the story of Company's day to day as Croaker sees it.

I am fascinated with the lore of the Taken and wanted to read more about them, but we are only given a quick sketch of the domination and hints as to what really went down. It makes the whole situation very mysterious. I don't get the impression we will be getting much more from this series, but perhaps in one of his others novels. I enjoyed the way that sorcerer was a needed solider in a fully outfitted regiment, just like a medic having someone like Goblin or Silent was key to your survival.

My favorite thing about this world though, was how everyone gets by with nicknames. In the army or with a company that makes sense as a stamp your brothers give you to show you belong, but in this society with real names meaning your death should they be known it has become a way of life. Very cool. Plus, I loved all the names.

I will say that I was a bit disappointed by the way all the taken fell to infighting. I was really hoping that Soulcatcher would move on, despite her turning on the Company. It is to be expected with so much at stake. Bonegnasher seemed awesome, way to quick an exit for him. Stormbringer, Nightcrawler, Moonbiter, the Faceless man. We never even got a chance to see what these taken were really capable of, but I guess that was the way it had to be. We will see, Limper was thought lost and now he's back so perhaps a return engagement? Epic final battle, epic struggle with good vs evil! Great story, cant wait to read the next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Black Company.