Jan's Reviews > Past Pleasures

Jan 15, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: romance, erotica, novella, menage, z-2011, science-fiction-romance
Read on January 14, 2011

I really liked Steins Waiting in Vain, so when I was in the mood for a quick and steamy read, I remembered I wanted to read more by her. I've got a thing for romance with a sci-fi twist, so Past Pleasures caught my eye.

When Kate travels to the future she's expecting all kinds of horrors and disasters, but instead up she ends up with two men who have never seen a woman in their lives, because they went extinct in 2045. What follows is a series of encounters where the three explore all the cultural and physical differences.

Past Pleasures is quite funny. Kate has a wild imagination, and her idea's about the future and what could have happened, as well as her observations and thoughts during her encounters with Tem and Aley often made me laugh.

Tem and Aley are utterly flabbergasted by this strange creature that keeps popping up in their appartement, and they really don't have a clue what to do. Unfortunately - and I think mostly due to the limited lenght of the story - this causes the men to seem dimwitted in the end. I don't think they were meant to be stupid, but they are so innocent and out of their comfortzone they border on being slapstick, and occasionally cross the line.

The innocense also gave quite a virginal aura to the sex scenes, which isn't a trope I particularly like in erotical reads.

I'm a fan of good ménage romance/erotica, not really for the sexy times, but because there's often a heavier emotional impact because there's more people involved in the Happy Ending. Here the three didn't seem really balanced out though, and I suspect that one of the men will end up with his own story.

Which brings me to my last point. The ending is very abrubt and impulsive, and it didn't feel like an actual ending, but more like the book just stopped. Like a tv-series aborted mid season. Many questions were left unanswered, the main one being what kind of relationship it would all end up with. I was quite enjoying the story uptil then, but the ending really left me dissatisfied.

I really, really enjoy Steins writing style, and the story had an interesting premise and some lovely ideas, but the end result was slightly disappointing.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Past Pleasures.

message 1: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Stein Thanks for the thoughtful review, Jan! Really pleased you like my style.