Stevie's Reviews > The Four Loves

The Four Loves by C.S. Lewis

Apr 21, 08

bookshelves: spiritual-kog, books-owned
Read in April, 2008

I did not learn as much from this book as I was hoping, but it was an interesting meditation on different types of love.

Poignant Quotes:

"Man, please thy Maker, and be merry,
And give not for this world a cherry."

"It is a bad thing not to be able to take a joke."

"There is no safe investment. To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything, and your heart will certainly be wrung and possibly be broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact, you must give your heart to no one, not even to an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements; lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket - safe, dark, motionless, airless - it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. The alternative to tragedy, or at least to the risk of tragedy, is damnation. The only place outside Heaven where you can be perfectly safe from all the dangers and perturbations of love is Hell."

"We shall draw nearer to God, not by trying to avoid the sufferings inherent in all loves, but by accepting them and offering them to Him; throwing away all defensive armor. If our hearts need to be broken, and if He chooses this as the way in which they should break, so be it."

"In God there is no hunger that needs to be filled, only plenteousness that desires to give."
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Four Loves.