Hamda Almuhairi's Reviews > Room

Room by Emma Donoghue

Mar 31, 12

bookshelves: fiction, kidnapping, realistic-fiction, contemporary, family, crime-mystery, tough-subjects, favorites, 2012
Read from March 06 to 31, 2012

This book automatically wins brownie points for having a five year old narrator for something aimed at adults, with all its dark and bleak-slash-hopeful themes. How the author managed to write up Jack convincingly I’m still wondering.

I liked how Ma created this whole independent environment for Jack with barely anything. Jack grew up a normal kid—as normal as anyone in his situation can get at least. He’s also pretty observant for a kid, it makes it worse on the days when his Ma’s Gone or especially upset because he’s not an oblivious child who’d just go on and play.

I can’t comment about the plot without giving it away but I thought it was convincing how things played out in the end (there was a part that was just crazy though).

Oh, and this is not really about the kidnapping or the crime itself, it's a lot more about this special bond between Ma and Jack, and the small sacrifices we don't really consider(crime fans would be disappointed but I recommend the book anyway).
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Room.

03/06/2012 page 21
03/15/2012 page 68
17.0% "Still in the process of being introduced to the world of Jack; it makes it all the more terrifying to read from Jack's perspective. He doesn't understand some of the details about his mother, but we do, indirectly. Jack does tend to ramble about his storybooks and toys too much though."
03/25/2012 page 96
24.0% "Things are *finally* picking up, if only a little. Can't wait to see how this turns out."
03/30/2012 page 334
83.0% "Very close to The End...the story got more interesting towards the middle and now the book is going around with me wherever I go."
show 2 hidden updates…